Battery powered Float

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Sneezewort
Bleak

Re: Battery powered Float

Post by Sneezewort »

I still have one somewhere in the loft. My friend and I used to fish on a pool behind what was then the Bugle PH near Halliford in Surrey. This pool was crystal clear though the surface had once been set alight with burning oil as part of an film shoot for LWT if I recall. All of these challenges meant we blanked as kids fishing in the day. At the point we thought the pool was devoid of any fish at all, we discovered these wonderful devices and suitably equipped set off for our first after dark forays. That’s how we unlocked the secrets within... in the pitch black staring as two red dots became one, then away under the surface into the depths. The Tench were ours!
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

A great little write up.
——————-
Welcome to the TFF
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too remember the Bugle pit!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Watch batteries go back that far????

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Nobby wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:52 am Watch batteries go back that far????
Sadly the patent number is now allocated to a detergent!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I bought a job lot of them on ebay once. Described as plastic wagglers and listed at 10 for 99 pence.
The batteries were inside but needed pushing further in to get them to power up.
Different to the one shown and the battery was the thin tube type, more often used on ferret collars.

They didn't cast very well but as a night float for a couple of rod lengths out they were really good.

Wal.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:52 am Watch batteries go back that far????
1951 Apparently

" In 1951 Arthur Fillinger developed Hamilton’s first electric watch movement, the Model 500. After 40 battery makers turned down Hamilton to manufacture a small battery to power their watches, Union Carbide agreed to work with them. The battery developed became the 301 (SR43SW) which was replaced with the 387S. The early mercury button sells were 1.35v mercuric oxide batteries with zinc leads. When mercury batteries were discontinued, (they were considered a potential environmental hazard), the battery chemistry changed to silver oxide. The replacements produced 1.55v and became the standard in the industry."

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Olly wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:19 pm I too remember the Bugle pit!
It later gave up Pike most obligingly in the winter too ! 👍🏻
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”