Ian Lewis floats.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Ian Lewis floats.

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening friends ,has any member purchased floats from Ian Lewis as I would like your opinion of the quality.Thank you and keep well.Reelmaker

Duckett
Tench

Re: Ian Lewis floats.

Post by Duckett »

ReelMaker wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 pm Good evening friends ,has any member purchased floats from Ian Lewis as I would like your opinion of the quality.Thank you and keep well.Reelmaker
I have been a regular customer of Ian’s for about 4 years. In my opinion Ian does precisely what he claims in making affordable, good quality floats that do the job they are intended for. His floats are not like the works of art I see on here, or by some of the famous makers, but then I am not concerned about losing them! My wallet will not scream in pain, they look the job and they do it. He’s even willing to tweak his regular designs, or try out new ones, for regular customers. I particularly like some of his reproductions of traditional designs.

One last thing, the colours he uses to paint his tips are the best I have come across in a traditional handmade float. When you order a particular colour, you get it. Sadly, that has not always been my experience with other makers I’ve tried.

Hope that helps.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I particularly like Ian’s Swan quills they are superb everyday floats. Granted they are not the best of finishes - but one can use them with the knowledge that a replacement can be had for very little outlay and that you will get more or less the same float again which is very reassuring.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

I have to agree with everything Pallenpool and Duckett have said . Functional value for money floats that do the job they're intended for ....

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I would agree with the above and add that some while back I did receive one float that was not up to his own usual standard .
He did not quibble at all , just resolved the matter fairly , so a good person to deal with .

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

I agree with the comments . I have always had excellent service and great floats from Ian . He even made me some bespoke floats and did not ask for payment until I was fully happy with the design etc . I use the floats and all are excellent . Couldnt recommend enough !

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Ian Lewis also sells 'starter kits' for those, like me, who want to put their toe in the water for making their own floats They come in several sizes and provide a set of basic materials (cane, sarkanda reed, a variety of balsa and cork bodies, wire rings, whipping thread, fluorscent tip paint and even a razor blade). You can also buy further supplies as well. These sets are good for giving you an idea of various float making materials and I was lucky that Santa left one of these sets under our Christmas Tree for me (although I have a suspicion it might have really been my sister-in-law..........) I have since made a bunch of floats, mainly wagglers and a couple of river floats (samples in photo). I have also extended into peacock quills after buying a couple of full quills from a local tackle shop and have harvested pheasant tail quills from a couple of brace of birds we were given a few weeks back after a local shoot. I have deliberately made my floats as users, so they are quite utilitarian (not to mention my lack of skill!) and not a patch on those awesome works of art seen on this forum of which I would be inconsolable to see stuck in a branch or disappearing forever below the water! JohnImage

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I think the kit - parts - are a great idea.

The thing with floats for me is they all have a place in the bamboo tubes I use to keep them. I take as much pleasure in using a high end creation as one that is purely a functional item - whatever the float just use them you will be pleased you did, certainly I never concern myself with losing a float, in fact I have got to the stage in my piscatorial adventures that I actually don’t worry about any of it - rods, reels you name it - I just enjoy what i’m doing and using everything just seems to fit into place. Surely being precious gets in the way of pure enjoyment. . . . . . . .
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

I take your point! I have, mind you, had one bad experience of losing tackle on a fishing trip and that was nearly two years ago when I had a barbel rod and Shimano baitrunner reel pulled into the lake when fishing for smaller sized carp! That was a bit traumatic! I hope my floats will get of a better standard - and it looks as if we are going to get a lot of practice time over the next couple of months or so, which is something I will take advantage of alongside finishing my current rod refurb project and and lining up another one for a Chapman 500 I've just taken delivery of. John.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Well John, when it comes to Barbel and Carp even with the best precautions put in place they can surprise you as you found out and that was using a baitrunner - I predominately use pins and when fishing for Carp or Barbel I sit right over the rods and that’s even when i’m using something as free running as an wide drum aerial - you just never know what is going to happen. WONDERFUL!

Peter
:Hat:

Heraclitus

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”