Hook storage

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Hook storage

Post by ReelMaker »

I've been thinking that keeping made up hooks on nylon are a issue with the line being linked and squashed on the wooden winders.I now use old line spools with a small hole drilled thought to put the hook into and then wind on the hook lenght and use the plastic clip onto the spool to grip it .I 've this is an easy way to make a fiddly task simple Reelmaker

Troydog
Tench

Re: Hook storage

Post by Troydog »

I use 3 plastic wallets, each with ten pockets. One is for hooks tied to 1.2lb links, another for hooks tied to 2.5lb and the third is to 3.25lb links. I tie about a foot of line to Kamasan 525 hooks, then loop the line over two fingers before inserting each hook into a pocket. You do your tying at home before each trip.
Here in Tenerife I brought two packets of ten hooks and have tied them onto an A4 sheet of polystyrene - spare stock if you like for when I get back on the river......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I keep all my hooks to nylon in different sizes/lines in a fly wallet - anything required out of the ordinary I will make bankside as and when it becomes required.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

I have to keep every thing as simple as possible now as I struggle to get hooks in and out of wallets.I only us size 20 hooks with punched bread,as the fish are small roach and dace and very shy bigger baits are no use.Reelmaker

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

The Carping fraternity use rig boards - these are large and very easy to use - this May help you for storing - just a thought.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I tie all my hooks fresh on the bank as I can't see the point of hooks to nylon when ones short distance sight is fine, and anyways they're going to be replaced if I miss too many bites on the trot.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

I wish I could do that...I have to use my glasses under a strong lamp, and store them stuck in a wine cork in an old tobacco tin.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The downside is that I need glasses to see the float or rod tip!

Hemingway

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Try tieing a 20 hook to fine 2lb clear mono on the bank side,impossible for me even with good eyesight ,l buy Mustard fine wire spade end hooks to mono .Reelmaker

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Not a problem as yet, but it does take me a little longer than several years ago.

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”