Gilt Hooks or Gilt Hooks to Nylon

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Gilt Hooks or Gilt Hooks to Nylon

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone

:Hat:

The humble Gilt Hook!
Is it me or are they not used as much nowadays, they can still purchased on line, but it doesn't appear you can get them any smaller than a size 12. I don't know whether tackle shops still sell them.

I have a few that I have collected over the years, and of course they were popular with fisherman who used sweetcorn throughout the decades, we used them a lot during the 70's

Out of interest, do many of you still use them now ?

Thank you for your time

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Gilt Hooks or Gilt Hooks to Nylon

Post by Vole »

I would if I could find a decent barbless, gilt spade end.
Perfect for wheat, golden flake, corn and crust.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Vole wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:39 pm I would if I could find a decent barbless, gilt spade end.
Perfect for wheat, golden flake, corn and crust.
There are some Gilt hooks online. Here is the link below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Gold-Barb ... SwCU1Y3S6h

There are spades ends if you do a search too or you could squash the barb, we used to during the 80's and 90's even now I do it with some single hook traces I had.

:Hat:
Last edited by Tonytoned on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I used to use these a lot. Would have been barbed back in the day. Pretty sure I would have been using 14, 16 and 18. Would love to find some barbless now. Just something about them. Even caught on bare hooks, when setting the depth!
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post that link! Funnily enough, I have a similar box, pound-shop specials, very long in the shank, and I don't know why. I suppose I shall have to try chopping a couple down to a sensible length and whipping them on!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Vole wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 pm Many thanks for taking the trouble to post that link! Funnily enough, I have a similar box, pound-shop specials, very long in the shank, and I don't know why. I suppose I shall have to try chopping a couple down to a sensible length and whipping them on!
Good luck Vole. If I find out any more or come across some in my travels I will let you know.

:Thumb:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

MGs wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 pm I used to use these a lot. Would have been barbed back in the day. Pretty sure I would have been using 14, 16 and 18. Would love to find some barbless now. Just something about them. Even caught on bare hooks, when setting the depth!
I think they are out there, just harder to find. :Hat:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Drennan use gilt hooks for their barbless push-stop sweetcorn hooks to nylon. Size 14 is the smallest. In my experience they work well for 2 pieces of corn for Tench and Bream. However, for other fish, I cut the push-stop off. Everyone is right though, I’d love them in 16 and 18.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Duckett wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 pm Drennan use gilt hooks for their barbless push-stop sweetcorn hooks to nylon. Size 14 is the smallest. In my experience they work well for 2 pieces of corn for Tench and Bream. However, for other fish, I cut the push-stop off. Everyone is right though, I’d love them in 16 and 18.
Thats good to know Duckett :Thumb:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think the whole 'Gilt hooks for corn' is something of a myth myself. Bury any hook in corn or even side hooked, I can't imagine any fish examining it and rejecting it. I went through a phase of concealing my hooks when chub, barbel and carp fishing but now I'd be happy using any colour, it could improve the bite rate. I do use red hooks for predator fishing.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”