Monster float

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Phil Arnott
Chub

Re: Monster float

Post by Phil Arnott »

What a cracking picture, do you know where it is taken? Is that a wooden centrepin as well?

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Assuming a swanshot is an SSG (1.6g)
then 200 swanshot is 320g
or roughly 11 ounces in old money.
Not so much if you are using a whole rat as bait.
:Cool:
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Phil Arnott wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:24 pm What a cracking picture, do you know where it is taken? Is that a wooden centrepin as well?
It'll have been taken in South Wales near Rhossili Bay. Not sure whether that is his wooden centrepin but I have one of his 5 1/2 inch wooden centrepins.

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Looks like a Scarborough reel. Designed to fish off the North East coast.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

In the past I used floats the size of Nobby's for fishing for flatties in shallow river estuaries and deeper beach gullies on the NW England and N. Wales coast, particularly an hour either side of low tide. Also caught Gar and Mackerel, never a Bass like Snape's grandad though. As Wally suggests, I used to see them used on Llandudno and Bangor piers but I always found small Redgills more effective there.

Drilled bullet to balance them. Bait was often a ragworm, lugworm or thin sliver if Mackerel or Herring hooked at the wide end. Let it drift with the tide. Some sea floats seemed stupidly thick at the top and bottom, so I always preferred large river floats.

Mullet anglers are the only folk I regularly see using the technique these days. I ought to try it on the south coast.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Fredline wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:47 am I sold this float a couple of years ago at Redditch. It was almost a metre long and took 300 swan shot.
ImageImageImage
That huge float is a cracker and I wonder if it was in a shop window once upon a time as an advertising piece. It looks older than Harcork types.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

What a superb photo Nigel - it's in the genes!
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Nobby wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:13 am Image

Not really big enough for a shop window display, I think this really was meant to be fished with. I think it's by Auger and holds about 30 BB!
Somehow missed this... as someone with a fondness for Auger floats all I can say is :drool:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”