Tackle for weedy stillwater swims

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Stathamender
Tench

Re: Tackle for weedy stillwater swims

Post by Stathamender »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:43 pm Float fish over the weed... ledgering will only bury the bait, I fail to see just how some of these complicated ledger rigs work in really weedy conditions...if you can’t use a traditional noisy rake then an Aspen weed rake (pole system) will remove weed so that you can fish a bait on a cleanish bottom without disturbing the neighbours
Using a buoyant bait and a sufficiently long link to the leger weight or feeder should enable one to float the bait either above or on the surface of weed.

A lot of the time you may be fishing a) well beyond raking distance either pole mounted or thrown (unless you are some Geoff Capes sort - in which case you probably won't have to bother too much either about complaints from other anglers) and/or b) at a depth greater than a fixed float will allow (and, as someone who has tried on many occasions, finding the correct depth to use a slider over thick weed is just about impossible).

Both Len and Ted Head had great success at Bures, back in the day, using float leger techniques (Ted rarely fished any other way), but that was long before the dramatic increase in phosphate/nitrate infiltration from agricultural runoff, along with silt, from the 90s on which have led to the proliferation of thick weed in so many waters now.

I agree that many of the fancy rigs you see are over-complicated and it is difficult to see what some of the more esoteric variations actually achieve, but there should be some relatively simple but effective ways to deal with this problem.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:31 pm PVA??....not very traditional and I do wonder about the chemical release in water....they say it’s non toxic....but it ain’t natural.....
There's very little we do as anglers that's 'natural'. According to Wikipedia: 'PVA is nontoxic. It biodegrades slowly, and solutions containing up to 5% PVA are nontoxic to fish'.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There were such things as buoyant ledgers. An Avon float type with a ring at the top and a lead at the base - could be up to 12" long. Drilled wood - lignum sinks slowly - can lie on the weed. Used both in the past tench fishing.

Mini cork balls with swivel in make an excellent paternoster/running rig.

One alternative is to bait heavily with hemp/corn - the fish clear the weed themselves.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Olly wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:29 pm There were such things as buoyant ledgers. An Avon float type with a ring at the top and a lead at the base - could be up to 12" long. Drilled wood - lignum sinks slowly - can lie on the weed. Used both in the past tench fishing.

Mini cork balls with swivel in make an excellent paternoster/running rig.

One alternative is to bait heavily with hemp/corn - the fish clear the weed themselves.
Yes, fledgers etc. I've thought of making these: use a balsa stick as for popping up dead baits, attach a ring or similar to the top, a snap swivel or ring to the base and a link ledger or bomb of sufficient mass to that to sink the fledger slowly. I've tried the mini cork balls (12mm) method, two problems here: 1) not really buoyant enought to give a decent lift and 2) tangle tendencies (probably need to use anti-tangle booms along the hook line). Might try pop-up foam balls (though I'd want to paint them green as I would with the balsa sticks).
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I just use cane stems rather like a float. Balsa bodies alone would not "sit-up" correctly like a float/fledger. A smallish swivel glued into the top of the balsa/cork body of the fledger gives the eye for a running lead version.

A reverse of a bodied waggler! Lead wire on the base prevents a "lump" of lead taking it down too quickly. Rather like shotting a float until it sinks - slowly.

Cork balls go smaller to 10mm or even 8mm. (Also used to make paste baits buoyant!)

There are of course artificial baits - corn bits and caster/maggots etc - that can aid buoyancy to hook baits. The use of a floating artificial maggot/caster as a "line aligner" would not inhibit the presentation of a bait on the hook.

Foam balls or floats bodies can be used but some melt - dependent upon the paint used!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Stathamender wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 am
RBTraditional wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:31 pm PVA??....not very traditional and I do wonder about the chemical release in water....they say it’s non toxic....but it ain’t natural.....
There's very little we do as anglers that's 'natural'. According to Wikipedia: 'PVA is nontoxic. It biodegrades slowly, and solutions containing up to 5% PVA are nontoxic to fish'.
As an angler I’m happiest presenting a bait for tench under a quill float in the margins, keeping things as simple as I can bait wise, worm, bread and corn are my mainstays and serve me well....I just wouldn’t join the modern approach, boillies, complicated rigs, fishing then becomes more about catching than being there.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Each to their own - no probs for me to use modern hooks/lines & baits like corn/pastes and boilies with a cane rod & a centrepin. I enjoy playing fish on cane and have not stopped using a pin for over 60 years - but not on every visit.

The rods most of us use are from the 40's - 60's - but also we have modern version cane rods & centrepins! Even glass is making a comeback!

As an ardent child bird watcher & now a BTO member I started angling at about 10 years old to pass the time whilst doing the "watching" and getting "Out of Town". My I-spy book dates from the early 50's.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Okay Rob, a paper bag that will split and release the bait..... but I reckon PVA is both environmentally better and far more practical.

You're not Amish are you? You are allowed to step forward a tinsy winsy little bit you know, maybe take a step into the 1970's :Sarcasm: :Chuckle:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I’ve probably read too much Venables Dave it's warped my mind :Wink: ...but in all honesty I dislike the modern approach to angling that puts catching before the pleasure of being beside the water, being at one with nature and at peace with ones self.... :Thumb:
Ps...I’ve go the obligatory 70s hair cut! :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I think pva is an ingredient of chewing gum so can't be toxic.......can it?
I like Dave's solution and will try it.
Thanks Dave :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”