Jointed float!

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Kev D
Chub

Jointed float!

Post by Kev D »

Excuse the child-like art work but I was shown this float and really should've taken a photograph but didn't.
It was eight or ten inches long and made of a peacock quill with cork body and a joined to a section of porcupine quill by a thread loop. The ile obviously attaches to yhe porcupine section ,leaving the top "antenna " float to waggle. .
20190802_230446_resized.jpg
I bet some one knows what it is and how it was used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Kev D
Chub

Re: Jointed float!

Post by Kev D »

I meant line attaches to the porcupine section. Sorry big fingers ,dirty phone screen🙄
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi KevD. I am sure the diagram is upside down. This style of float works by the main being pulled down and the small porcupine quill lifting to indicate. I made these and it does work quiet well. Without looking it up I believe Allcocks retailed them (no bulbose cork added). Their novelty floats were combined and marketed as xmas gift for the angling man late sixties ??? Fail to see how your diagram could possibly work. Regards Tony

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

These have been discussed in the past with the conclusion that were they as effective as described, we'd all be using them still. It's over complicating a simple item of tackle.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:58 pm These have been discussed in the past with the conclusion that were they as effective as described, we'd all be using them still. It's over complicating a simple item of tackle.
Ah ,I did try a search for them on the forum but was lost for a description to type😀
The nearest thing I could think of seeing before was a special "Broads Float" that my Dad bought me when we were on holiday as kids in Norfolk. I think it was supposed to fished flat ,then it stood up like a flag when a fish bit. Probably caught more tourists than fish🙂.I think I ended-up using mine for pike fishing.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Tru-bite by Allcocks.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

👍.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”