1960/70's Floats info wanted

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Skinboy
Silver Bream

1960/70's Floats info wanted

Post by Skinboy »

Hi,I acquired quite a few similar floats recently,they have no makers name and could be hand made but they are professionally done.The ones pictured are around 10 to 11 inches long, I also have a range of other sizes and floats including a lot of stick floats which all look as if they are by the same maker.
As can be seen from the other photo the line attachment eye is a strange design,I've not seen these before.
There are Zoomers,Missiles,Duckers and Stick floats and they all look like they are from the 1970's,possibly from the Coventry area as the tackle I bought came from there.I am hoping someone might have seen similar floats and know who made them?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: 1960/70's Floats info wanted

Post by Dave Burr »

The eye at the bottom was for quick changing floats and not needing to strip everything down. From the distant past I do recall seeing those eyes but they may have been an extra you could purchase. The ones on your floats look to be re-whipped and are likely done by a match angler where speed is everything.

The paint work makes me think they are Ivan Marks floats but I'm probably wrong.

Skinboy
Silver Bream

Post by Skinboy »

Thanks Dave,I think you're probably right about the eyes being a later addition.I was thinking Ivan Marks or Ultra etc but they are usually named.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I think "Stenton" was the name of the designer of the quick-change rings. They made floats incorporating the rings, but also sold the rings to modify your own floats. Very handy for wagglers, till the "Swinger"-style swivel-in-a-sleeve type of adaptor came along.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Skinboy
Silver Bream

Post by Skinboy »

Thanks Vole,there is a George Stenton who has something to do with Ultra floats (owner?) so they could be early Ultra floats or pre Ultra, Stenton floats.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Skinboy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:29 pm Thanks Vole,there is a George Stenton who has something to do with Ultra floats (owner?) so they could be early Ultra floats or pre Ultra, Stenton floats.
In the 60’s and 70’s Ultra was started by Chris Archer and Alan Wood until Alan left the business. I didn’t know of a George Stenton at that time. I knew Chris quite well and Woody was a great pal of mine. I was his best man and he was the Godfather to my son. Woody died a few years ago and the last I heard Cris was living in the States.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Skinboy
Silver Bream

Post by Skinboy »

Ok Bob thanks,maybe G.Stenton was later.Any idea on the floats?

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Interesting idea and history as ever on here gents :Hat: I will copy that design, if I can, and use it in some quill floats I have in mind for my margin to 2 rod legths approach

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

[*]
Skinboy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:13 pm Ok Bob thanks,maybe G.Stenton was later.Any idea on the floats?
They do look like Ultra canal floats to me.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Liphook wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:41 am Interesting idea and history as ever on here gents :Hat: I will copy that design, if I can, and use it in some quill floats I have in mind for my margin to 2 rod legths approach
I did actually try that system when they came out. A better system is to remove the eyes from your float and use Drennan swivel float attachments or something similar. I now never put eyes on floats attached bottom end only.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”