Peter Drennan Stabilizer floats

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Michael
Tench

Re: Peter Drennan Stabilizer floats

Post by Michael »

Funnily enough, I found one in my collection yesterday. Better late than never!ImageImage

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

You have to use it Michael.... It's the law, one if the best floats ever designed
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good find! An inteesting concept. Do we know what they were made of? Weiighted/self cocking?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ian Lewis at Handmade Fishing Floats makes something very similar. He calls his a French Waggler ....... Ooh! Matron!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallyboy Rob
Chub

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Liphook wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:10 pm Good find! An inteesting concept. Do we know what they were made of? Weiighted/self cocking?
I'm not sure what they were made of Liphook but they weren't self cocking

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

It's not a dissimilar design to modern 'paste' style pole floats with long stem, central body and long tip. Was it really that stable I wonder? Obviously not that popular otherwise it would still be in the Drennan range and a better known and copied style? I will make a few examples and give them a soaking I think :Hat:

Wallyboy Rob
Chub

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

A chum far more skilled than me made me a couple that are similar to the originals and SK painted a couple of my attempts. I've used them and they are excellent for fishing the lift method, I'll post some pics a bit later

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

It was as a lift method crucian float that the design immediately appealed to me. I currently use the tip ends of peacock quills. I'm assuming that 'stabilizer' label is referring to the casting qualities ie it waggles less in flight than a standard bottom bodied waggler?

Wallyboy Rob
Chub

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

IMG-20201028-WA0010.jpg
The one on the left I made and Stu painted, there is a larger one hiding in my shed somewhere, the other two were made by my chum, some of the first attempts at float making he did.

The Green one I lost at Abshot after being smashed by a good Tench in May 2019 and only retrieved it when we did some weed clearing the day before the lockdown this March.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”