Cork boiling!

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Cork boiling!

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Phil,

Thank you very much for the corks which arrived this morning. I will still buy a bottle of Port ;-)

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I had a good giggle reading this thread, did anyone other than me notice the subject changing, from boiling cork, to what was contained in the bottle??
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 am Phil,

Thank you very much for the corks which arrived this morning. I will still buy a bottle of Port ;-)
Apologies Nigel, for some reason I only just spotted this! It was a pleasure. With you on the port! Actually, I have 2 friends who take vintage port very seriously and I've noticed that they have top quality corks, though usually stained quite dark. For bright clean corks I would always opt for single malt and good quality white wine.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Phil,

I am conducting a survey of the quality of the corks in bottles of single malt, I haven't found any that are natural yet !

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

My son saved me the prosecco corks from last Saturday lunch time, 283 bottles of prosecco in a lunch time, who says there is no money about. I didn't dare ask him how much a bottle cost. They will be with me at Christmas, so if anyone wants any I will post them in the new year, just let me know how many you require.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:57 pm Phil,

I am conducting a survey of the quality of the corks in bottles of single malt, I haven't found any that are natural yet !
Enjoy your endeavours! The one I sent you was from a bottle of Brora - a wonderful present some years ago from dear friends for being best man at their wedding. Sadly, mindless vandals closed the Brora distillery some years ago. Remaining casks get fewer each year and a bottle will now cost you the same as a Barder rod!

I am currently imbibing a 12 year old Highland Park, one of the better standard bottlings from an independent distillery. These always seem to have natural cork stoppers, set in a plastic top, and readily available at supermarkets at a very reasonable price. For cork stoppers, I would always suggest a single malt with an age statement from independent or smaller distilleries.

As someone else observed, any wine or fortified wine from Portugal will have a genuine cork.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Prehaps one of the or so talented float makers could depict the Duro Valley on the said cork bodied float as a one off attributed to this thread! Tony

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”