Another float tube!!!!!!!!

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Hovis
Tench

Another float tube!!!!!!!!

Post by Hovis »

After being inspired by the works of other on here in particular the skills of the incredible artist Paul Cook and Barney I though it was high time I tried to produce something that was sure to be functional but not as beautiful.
:oops:
A very kind forum member who shall remain nameless sent me some bamboo tube for the cost of postage :Thumb: and I started by scraping the enamel off the tube as recommended by Loop, then sketched out a few ideas to get me going. I was going to transfer these over to the tube but because of the shape and flowing curves of the tubes I decided simply to illustrate them free hand to keep the images flowing together. I used Indian ink pens in a variety of size to complete this and you can see the start of my efforts below.
I am quite please with the initial results but have still got to add some definition and shading to give the images some depth. These are in no way supposed to represent a true reflection but are more of a stylised bold version.

The inspiration was taken from Pauls line drawings and I have asked his permission before posting on here (I don't think he has anything to worry about) :Scared: How he gets his illustration in such detail with a brush is beyond me! I still have to turn the end caps and I am looking for some pieces of Yew with a nice purple hue to finish them off. I also want to add a brass collar but can't find any for love nor money if anybody can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
Image Image Image
Image Image
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Another float tube!!!!!!!!

Post by Kingfisher »

Great work Hovis Sir. Looks Great. :Thumb:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Very nice. I like the artwork :Thumb:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I can't point you in the direction of a brass collar but yew trees can always be found in a church yard. Maybe you'll be able to find a couple of boughs fallen and already seasoned?

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Lovely.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Very tasty indeed...
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Different and very good that :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Barney
Grayling

Post by Barney »

Hovis,
that float tube looks smashing,thanks for showing it,look on ebay for some brass tube the size of your tube and cut it down to fit both ends and make a cap for the bottom,and a cap with the size of the brass with a cork plug attached to the cap,job done,
Barney

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Cheers Barney.

I'll get looking on the bay of E
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

As stated in my emails to Hovis , I do not hold any copyright on float tubes or have any problem with others wishing to embelish them with artwork . Float tubes have been around for many years in some form or another with some early examples dating back to the Victorian era and like any previous idea it is copied and in some cases improved upon . Perhaps I may have been the first to embellish bamboo tubes with indian ink artwork , possible but who knows but I hold no copyright on the idea just the initial artwork and usually , depending on the circumstances , if I am asked I am happy for someone to use my artwork but this does depend on a number of things . Firstly who actually owns copyright , the artist initially but with book artwork or magazines etc it gets a little complicated and in some cases it can and does end up in court .
Artwork comissioned by others for a specific idea can cause problems if permission is not granted ,however despite these complications it was refreshing to actually have someone make contact and at least have the decency to ask , that doesnt happen too often.

The artwork looks good so please do carry on , would like to see the finished tube which I am sure will look fine .

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”