Lures

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Tru-Cru

Lures

Post by Tru-Cru »

Thinking of making a few copper spoons of different sizes.
Anyone on here make there own lures?

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Re: Lures

Post by Kevanf1 »

I have made a few out of copper pipe. I just slit it down the middle, open it out and cut out the shape I want. I have hammered them using a small ball pein hammer and then polished them using a mini drill, polishing mop and Brasso. These are generally Toby style or traditional 'spoon' shape. I have not made any full on proper spinners.

I do have a few real 'spoons' that I am going to try drilling etc.

Oh, I haven't tried it but I have an idea for using aluminium foil glued to one side to give a shiny 'chrome like' finish. I don't know how this would work out..
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Martin

Post by Martin »

I used to make and sell jerkbaits made from beech and maple

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I whittled a surface popper, you can see it here, it fishes like a dream too!

viewtopic.php?f=268&t=8519

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

I've made a few spoons from copper, stainless and brass sheet, you can texture on face of the spoon with a small ball peen hammer to give it a scale like texture before you dap the curve into it.

(phone picture, sorry about the quality)

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, we call that 'planishing' here in the UK, Estaban, there used to be a special hammer to do it and it had to be kept spotless.

Scott, I'd completely missed that thread in August.

Awesome popper!

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

If you take the word spoon literally - you end up with something like this,
both work perfectly, the second treble position alters balance and motion significantly
these are made from quite thick copper sheet, 3 mm, as I wanted small but heavy spoons
they are 1 3/4" - 20 g, and 2" - 30 g, the longer is 3", also 30 g - 3mm copper needs some hefty whacking
the silver spoon is a replica of a swedish Leidesdorff spoon (got it today from the german bay)
7" - 2 oz, 1 mm brass sheet, silverplated, a real piece of jewellery
beware you pikes out there Image

here are my planishing tools, Nobby (not spotless, I fear :Scared: )

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Very nice Paddex

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think I'd have got 'the slipper' If I'd have returned a planishing hammer in that condition at the nd of metalwork class, Paddex!

Not seen one of those in 40 years!

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I've made a few lures in my time and whilst the recent ones are not exactly the most traditional lures, they are never the less effective in the right place :Scared:

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”