Line guards

The Other Reels forum.
Tony1964

Line guards

Post by Tony1964 »

I have heard mixed opinions in relation to the fitting of line guards on centrepins. What are the pros and cons?

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Line guards

Post by Snape »

My Chris Lythe Aerial came with a line guard but I took it off as I cast from coils in the hand and I found it impeded the cast (my incompetence probably) and I now only have line guard free centre pins but the downside is the line can come off the side and cause problems. Overall I still prefer no line guard.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Pro:

Stops the line blowing off the drum

Con:

Makes Wallis casting a little difficult.

Really it boils down to whether you want to Wallis cast or not. If you're not going to Wallis cast then a line guard is of benefit. If you're going to Wallis cast then ditch the line guard.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I agree with Sean and I fish without line guards.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

SeanM wrote:Pro:

Stops the line blowing off the drum

Con:

Makes Wallis casting a little difficult.

Really it boils down to whether you want to Wallis cast or not. If you're not going to Wallis cast then a line guard is of benefit. If you're going to Wallis cast then ditch the line guard.
Yes. I recall now I was trying to learn to Wallis cast so I took it off. I never learned to do it properly though.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

BobH

Post by BobH »

It depends what I'm are doing.

For legering I use pins without line guards, for trotting I use Pins with line guards.

I find it much easier to trot a float using a line guard, as it stops the line going around the back less often.

The legering, once you have cast out, all you have to do is check the line has not gone around the back of the reel and if it has correct it.

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Thanks guys. I certainly want to try the Wallis cast so I will avoid putting a guard on the reel to start with.
It is interesting to hear about line blowing off the drum and line going around the back. Would this be caused by over filling the drum? I have read advice on this forum that I should put no more than about 50 - 60 yards of line on the reel. Would these problems still exist with such a small amount of line on? (my reel is 4.75")

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

You'll still get line blowing off the drum Tony. It's a function of how deep the drum is, not how much line is on it as even with 100 metres of line on it the depth of the line will only be a few millimeters deep on a typical centre pin. Reels such as the Speedia are much less prone to wind-blown line as they have a deep drum. Match Aerials whth their shallow drums can be a pain in windy condtions. Personally I switch to a caged drum reel (think Rapidex) in the wind, there are very few trotting swims I can't cast to Nottingham style by pulling loops of line from between the rod rings.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

The problem with a line guard for Wallis casting is that the line exits the drum at an angle when pulled by the free hand. The pull tends to be backwards and to the side, making the line pass over the edge of the line guard, the attendant friction upsetting the smooth flow of the line. Reels such as the Aerial Popular have no guard and the line spokes are set well back from the edge, so you don't have any trouble with line catching round the reel foot, whereas the Match Aerial has the spokes set close to the rim, causing the line to drop off the drum all too easily.

With a caged reel such as the Rapidex/Flick-Em design, the line cannot get where it shouldn't, and the cage does not seem to interfere with the cast quite so much as a line guard. I don't quite know why this should be, but it is. I can't cast as far with my Flick-Em as with the Aerial, but that I think is down to a combination of the former being less free-running and having a narrower drum; wider drums seem generally to be better Wallis casting reels. It would be interesting to see how a centrepin made on Aerial lines with a wide drum and a cage might perform.

MoreGrayling

Post by MoreGrayling »

I have seen, albeit only once or twice, aerial reels with round line guards, rather like Hardy Perfects. I am sure these have not been factory fitted; they looked just right for the job nonetheless.

Return to “Other Reels”