The Upper Lea

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Tony1964

Re: The Upper Lea

Post by Tony1964 »

Trotting a float down the river to see it disappear just as it goes under the bridge. Magical...

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

tony1964 wrote:Trotting a float down the river to see it disappear just as it goes under the bridge. Magical...
I tried explaining that feeling once to a non fisher, never again, they just don’t understand.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Bob, or anyone else? Could you recommend a good stretch of the middle to upper Lea to fish next weekend? Beyond Dobbs Weir my knowledge ends. I've got a ten year old with me so catching is the main objective. I don't want the popular barbel stretches for obvious reasons like Kings Weir.
I've promised to show him the art of trotting with a centre pin, no pressure then!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Stanborough Park, but you'll need to take loads of pound coins and mixed silver, both for parking and for your fishing tickets, which you have to buy from the slot machines before you fish.

If it's "rammed", you can use the same kit to fish for roach on the lake. They like hemp, and not all 10-y.o.s like maggots, so that can be good. And if you are driven onto the lake and are allowed to stay till the light goes, keep an eye open for carp right in the margins at last knockings (earlier, sometimes). Lumpy ones, so take a beefy spare set-up!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Tadpole . There is a nice stretch just below dobbs weir lock on the main river. 5 min walk from dobbs weir car park . Plenty of gudgeon and some small roach. Ideal for trotting

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

You're right, John, and if the South-East winds we're promised for the second half of the week stay, it'll be the perfect spot, if not the best conditions - the wind will be upstream and off your back. Good call.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

How did it go Bob?

I couldnt fish yesterday or today.

Lasy week I did a proper Tench sortie on the Lea Navigation( no close season) at Cheshunt. All mod cons two rods andall that Jazz. Blanked....casters an all!

Today I took a walk at Wormley. Well Family picnic and a well known( to some of us) Angler was catching...I saw the evidence!

Return to “River Lea”