Bamboo

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
NiceRoach
Eel

Bamboo

Post by NiceRoach »

The breezy bay of Pollenca Mallorca - wash awash with bamboo, where did it come from over the mediterranean from Africa
who knows, anyway with some work, especially on the Campo Viejo Rioja cork stopper, it'll do for some river quills.

The mystique makes it more interesting, and finding a saw whilst your on holiday to cut it to luggage size :Confused:

niceroach

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: Bamboo

Post by NiceRoach »

any ideas or inspiration for a proper stopper?
niceroach

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Is that not Spanish Reed, Sir ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

I've got all mixed bits, you may be right :Hat:
niceroach

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

NiceRoach wrote:any ideas or inspiration for a proper stopper?
The cork in there now seems just right, simple and effective.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Agreed. Both components are part of the holiday story, and only a bit of varnish is really needed - even that might be limited to the reed's end-grain and any rubbed areas where its natural enamel has worn off (all part of its sea-journey).
Go as wild as you like with subsequent versions, though; whippings, stains, pyrography, transfers, Turk's Heads, metal bands... but save model no.1 as a souvenir.
Just an opinion, of course; it's yours: - do as thou wilt!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Vole wrote:Agreed. Both components are part of the holiday story, and only a bit of varnish is really needed - even that might be limited to the reed's end-grain and any rubbed areas where its natural enamel has worn off (all part of its sea-journey).
Go as wild as you like with subsequent versions, though; whippings, stains, pyrography, transfers, Turk's Heads, metal bands... but save model no.1 as a souvenir.
Just an opinion, of course; it's yours: - do as thou wilt!

So be it, and well put - thanks guys :Thumb:
niceroach

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Just a thought NiceRoach, Sir ... but if you go to Google Earth ... and look for l'Albufereta, Balearic Islands ... you'll see what I take to be a park comprising a marshy areas with many narrow waterways which runs into a single channel which flows into the bay. Perhaps cropping for control or harvesting could be the source of the reed floating in the bay.

Pure conjecture.

PS ... there's a photograph of the park entitled "Bei Alcùdia, Mallorca" at co-ordinates 30 51 33.9 N 3 05 53.9 E which appears to show Spanish Reed in silhouette.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

AshbyCut wrote:Just a thought NiceRoach, Sir ... but if you go to Google Earth ... and look for l'Albufereta, Balearic Islands ... you'll see what I take to be a park comprising a marshy areas with many narrow waterways which runs into a single channel which flows into the bay. Perhaps cropping for control or harvesting could be the source of the reed floating in the bay.

Pure conjecture.

PS ... there's a photograph of the park entitled "Bei Alcùdia, Mallorca" at co-ordinates 30 51 33.9 N 3 05 53.9 E which appears to show Spanish Reed in silhouette.
Before I look I suspect you are right, there is too much driftwood cane, to have made it across fr0m Africa, the entire north of the island Alcudia etc has a labyrinth waterways/canals, - I know the part you mention as is mostly a nature reserve, and marshland perfect for Spanish Reed *bamboo lookalike*

They stocked the canals with Mullet ( they call them Lisa ) - good fishing.

Thanks
p.s. great detective work
niceroach

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”