Casting at the sun: an observation

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Blunderer
Bleak

Re: Casting at the sun: an observation

Post by Blunderer »

Leveller wrote:Good observation of a wonderful book I have read many times,
I had the very same obsession with barbel, to the point where it made me ill.
I ended up with IBS I called it irritable barbel sindrome,
Irritable bowel sindrome is a horrible thing as I'm sure some of you will know.
I realised after playing a computer simulation of fishing the river dove! That I would be I agony every time I got to running water , real or computer generated!
I stopped barbel fishing for five years and the fact that everyone in the world is after barbel now helps me to keep away from them, if one comes along that's fine but I no longer persue them.
I still fish everyday simply because it's better than sitting at home watching the tv !
Irritable Barbel Syndrome:

When your line keeps picking up weed and you never know whether you're fishing properly
When you turn up and have underestimated the flood and your leads are too small
When someone comes and skylines behind you and asks you if you've caught in a booming voice
When you're trotting with the pin and keep getting tangles

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I think many of us are reading the book and not realising "one thing". Chris had witnessed a record carp in the pool.

Not to mention the fact that he wasn't married then and didn't have a family life. Things are different when you're free and single. At 16 I moved into town and spent all summer camping up at quarry pool. My best mate was younger than me by a year, so it was his summer holidays from school. Together we fished right the way through the holidays. I was in college at the time, so I was also on my holdays. If I were working then, things would have been different.

How I wish I could turn the clocks back.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Casting at the Sun: An observation. I've never read it... and I'm not sure I want to!

Oh dear what can it all mean?

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Some really good & interesting posts here.
Plenty of wisdom too!

I love to go fishing but not more than twice a week or more than 36 hours if im doing a carp session.
I think most of all, I like the adventure of it, its not just being outside & enjoying the wildlife, scenery etc, but theres something more to my fishing.
I like planning were to go, prebaiting, climbing trees, making pegs, collecting wood, building a fire, cooking spuds in the embers, all these are a part of the kind of wild fishing I do.
I love to be out at dawn, sleeping next to a camp fire, listening to owls, watching bats & the long walk home.

but,
at the end of the day, I love coming home the best.
All these things I love but I love my wife & kids more!

its all about finding a good balance in your life.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Return to “Chris Yates”