The Colonel's Christmas Treat

The Other Reels forum.
Colonelgsc
Roach

The Colonel's Christmas Treat

Post by Colonelgsc »

What a splendid day I had yesterday. I spent the day visiting Garry Mills workshop at The Mill tackle Co., Studley, near Birmingham. I say 'the day', but as it involved a 406 mile round trip (around 6 hours), I only managed nearly 3 hours in his delightful company. But, what a time I had. He is a fine chap; as the late FJT once said, 'An angler, and an honest man'. He kindly 'tuned up' my old 5" Trudex, fettled the reel seat on a Purist 2031 CL for me, while his 'PA', the lovely Karen, kept me plied with steaming mugs of tea and dark chocolate digestives. The main reason for the visit was to pick up a couple of bespoke ally rod tubes for my Peter Stone Legerstrikes and 'The Colonel's Christmas Treat', hot off the assembly bench. A 4 & 1/4 inch, 12 spoke aerial with three rosewood handles, from a limited production of only 25, the 'Avon Perfection'. Just to whet your appetites, here's an image of the new love in my life.

If anyone wants to enjoy a visit to this 'centrepin heaven', Garry is more than happy to see fellow fanatics, he tells me. What the man doesn't know about 'pins, just isn't worth noting.

Merry Christmas, my friends.

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Tony1964

Re: The Colonel's Christmas Treat

Post by Tony1964 »

That is certainly a beautiful reel, I am sure you will have many hours of pleasure using it.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Wow, that is something else. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

A thing of beauty indeed. :)
I would be interested to know why 3 handles and what is the reason for the grooves on the underside of the reel seat?
I also hadn't realised that he is under 35 miles from me. I may go and see him in the New Year.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Lovely stuff, Colonel. That reel and the one currently listed on ebay are both beauties. Looks like he's had some nice block leather cases made up too.

One thing I'd say about Garry is that his website seriously needs updating as there are no good pictures of these reels on there. Us wishful dreamers should be able to window shop at least.

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Snape wrote:A thing of beauty indeed. :)
I would be interested to know why 3 handles and what is the reason for the grooves on the underside of the reel seat?
I also hadn't realised that he is under 35 miles from me. I may go and see him in the New Year.
Good question, professor. Garry tells me the three handles present a better chance of laying one's fingers on it 'in a hurry'; he tells me he's also made a reel with four in the past. Not sure on the reel seat grooves, apart from adding a little detail to a fairly plain piece of metal. I've two other reels by Garry, one with grooves and the other without. My Carter has them but the JW Young Purists don't, although the BJ Lightweight and 2048 Limited editions have holes along the length of the seat.
Anyone else got ideas on these little details?

If you want to pop over to see this Aladdin's Cave, give Garry a ring on 01527-853438.............and tell him 'the Colonel' sent you!!!!

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

colonelgsc wrote:Anyone else got ideas on these little details?
I'd imagine the grooves on the reel seat provide a more secure grip on a cork rod handle fitted with sliding bands?

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Haydn Clarke wrote:Lovely stuff, Colonel. That reel and the one currently listed on ebay are both beauties. Looks like he's had some nice block leather cases made up too.

One thing I'd say about Garry is that his website seriously needs updating as there are no good pictures of these reels on there. Us wishful dreamers should be able to window shop at least.
Yes, he has some rather nice block leather cases. 59 guineas with a reel and a tad over 77 guineas without...........that's 65 and 85 quid, to those of you who've accepted the infernal decimalisation.
I've not spotted the ebay reel yet, do you have a link please, Haydn?
Yes, if you think his website needs a brush up, you should see his workshop. But he certainly knows where everything is and it's about as far removed from a Chinese mass production line as you can get ( Hardys, please note); your chosen reel is personally fabricated and assembled by Garry plus members of his family. Talking of Hardys, have you noticed the triple handles and polished rim bear a resemblance to their space station lookalike 'New Conquest' reel?.....................but that is definitely where the similarity ends.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

A true masterpiece. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Why Colonel, you self-indugent fellow....

You've already had your Christmas present when you bought that willow and cane landing net last week!

I thought the idea of selling off some tackle , like the Aspindasle Suredale, was to make more room.....not to fill it up with new toys again.

And "yes", I do have a crystal ball. :-)

Return to “Other Reels”