Breeks, how to wear them?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Scott
Tench

Breeks, how to wear them?

Post by Scott »

I've had a pair of lightweight Barbour breeks knocking about the wardrobe for a while now but as yet haven't had a chance (plucked up the courage) to wear them. Before I do I need to know a couple of things and wondered if any of you dapper gentlemen could help? I'm thinking Mr Ashby Cut? Firstly are the socks worn over the breeks or the breeks over the socks? Also, how are the socks held up? Doesn't all the moving around make them fall down? Thanks in advance.... ....Scott

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Breeks, how to wear them?

Post by AshbyCut »

Now why would you think of me, Sir ??? :Chuckle:

I wear my sock tops underneath the breaches bottoms for two reasons. A) it holds the socks up and B) There are buckles on the breaches which would be uncomfortable if trapped under the sock tops.

I always carry a spare pair of socks because if the ones I am wearing get wet I can simply change my socks and be dry again, so much better than spending time with wet pants legs flapping around my calves.

If the weather becomes particularly tropical, I can simply drop my sock to my ankles and receive a pleasant breeze ... the breeches effectively becoming a pair of Bermuda Shorts. They are bramble resistant, and nettle safe.

I love my moleskin breeches ... practical in every way. I have a dark olive pair on their way to me, and I'm saving for a tweed pair now, as close a match as I can get to my Full Norfolk jacket ... another eminently practical garment, particularly having a 'poachers pocket' which is ideal for slices of cake in individual bags.

Come the lottery win one of my first tasks will be to commission a bespoke Tweed Full Norfolk Jacket and Breeches suit.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Thanks for that AC, going to try them on right now!

OldFellah

Post by OldFellah »

In my shooting days I wore breeks on a regular basis and always preferred to also wear garters to ensure the socks stayed up during a day of walking. They are available from any shooting shop and usually have coloured tassels.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

I imagine if you wore your socks over the breeches , you would look like Nora Batty of the fishing fraternity :Hahaha: Kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Wink:

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Scott, def breeks over socks ! I've had a pair of moleskin breek which I got from John Brocklehursts of Bakewell years ago, they offered them in a med or long leg which being lanky I chose the latter which stops them riding up near the knee when you kneel down, my tip is a long shooting stocking which ends well above the knee, mine have a snug velcro fastening, I find them far better when wearing wellies as you dont have trousers stuffed in the wellies.

They look good paired with a bright coloured shooting stockings and a good brogue shoe or boot (highly polished of course !......mind you you would get a few glances wearing them away from the waterside or shooting/hunting field....

Tight lines
Dave

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Breeks over socks.The socks donot slide down wile walking.The fastening belts (donot know the exact word..)with their metal damage your kniten socks when you wear them over the trousers.
On my stag leather breeks are leatherbands that are usefull to put the socks under,on my tweed breeks
are metal clamps and that are horrible anyway.For shooting I wear wellies over my socks or chaps because of thorns that damage the socks.Usefull on river banks,too.

greetings

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

I think in the shooting world there are a lot of people who wear their socks OVER their breeks showing off the often colourful tops with the equally colourful garters tied underneath the turn up and hanging over the tops of the wellies. Look on any shooting clothing website and you will see this often. I think this is less common in the angling world. As far as Moleskin trousers and breeks go, I found this company very good as I prefer Velcro tabs rather than metal buckles so I can wear socks over or under if that makes sense.

http://www.moleskin-trousers.co.uk/mens ... -olive.htm

Badger
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Socks over breaks, with gaiters and wellies. Breeks are seriously comfortable. However, I must add that mine only get dusted off for shooting...... They ain't really casual wear!!
Another one-get some nikwax and do them with that, makes them a tad more splash proof.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”