It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 pm 
Catfish

I bought a very nice condition early Mitchell 300 reel just after Christmas ( from a vintage tackle dealer). It has been working fine on my Scottie MKIV which is the rod use more than any other.
Today, while on a return visit to the Old Estate Lake, it developed a problem.
After casting, when winding, the bail arm does not click over. I have to pull it over manually.

Is this a problem with the spring or is it something else?

What do I need to do to solve the problem?

Do I need to buy a new part?

Is this something I can do myself? ( bearing in mind I am pretty hopeless when it comes to dealing with/ taking apart/ putting together things)

Your advice to solve this problem would very much appreciated :Confused:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 pm 
Arctic Char

Bail spring... tis a common problem... my 400's had the same problem.... have a wee word with the Mitchell Guru that is Nobby... I'm sure he can sort it for you... if not him then Mike Traynor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:13 pm 
Arctic Char

I may be the bail spring, but the most simple problem to fix is the bail arm bent slightly out of centre. On the opposite side to the bail spring, on the other side of the rotor head, undo the screw where the bail arm is attached and see where the arm wants to go, it should stay directly over the screw in point, if not slightly, bend it until its does stay over over ,the screw in point. Screw it back up, then try the bail arm again. Then if its still sluggish it may be the spring needs replacing or cleaning....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:25 pm 
Arctic Char

It may well be the spring needs replacing. The good news is that they are still easy to get hold of :) When you try to open the bail arm is their any pressure at all? If so, it may point to the spring simply needing cleaning and some fresh oil dripping into it. I always use a small pot with some white spirit in and a thick artists paintbrush. I get my brushes from places like 'The Works' at a £1 for a big set :) Just fill the brush with white spirit and brush away any bits whilst letting some of the spirit dribble into the mechanism. To do a proper job you can take the screw out and dismantle the bail into big pieces. However, be aware that some people find it a bit tricky to get the spring back in place. Try the cleaning first just to see if the action gets any better. If it does, then dribble a small amount of oil into the spring where it is located. Wipe away any excess with kitchen roll. Of course, if it doesn't help then it could be a replacement is needed.

Just a further thought. I have known the spring to come astray of the bail arm is not screwed down properly....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:38 pm 
Catfish

My 300 bail arm stopped working at The Old Estate Lake ... and when I got home I discovered that the little 'key' on the baffle plate that slots into the groove on the housing had snapped off, allowing the baffle plate to rotate so it did not operate the bail arm trip lever. Fortunately it wasn't my 'good' one.

http://www.AshbyCut.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:25 am 
Eel

And cue stories about a Mitchell eating spook at The Old Estate Lake.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:43 am 
Chub

Send it to Nobby and get a full service done, you won't be disappointed and prices are more than reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:53 pm 
Chub

This is a common fault that can be caused by loose screws at either end of the bail arm, a bent arm or just dirt in the bail arm mountings. I just tighten the screws at both ends, squirt a bit of WD40 around the screws and this usually fixes the problem. Have a go at fixing it yourself, trying to get the bail spring seated correctly is great fun !

I found a Mitchell 400 in an antique shop last week, described as 'mint' condition and priced at £30. The body was chipped, the handle was seized and the play on the drive shaft was about 3-4mm ! About another £30 to fix so I walked away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:54 pm 
Catfish

Thank you so much, fellow anglers. This really is a nice place as people are so helpful. :Hat:
I waited to see what the various opinions were with regard to my problem, and then decided I would try the simplest possible suggestion first, and....... a tiny amount of WD40 sprayed over the screws on each end of the bail arm solved the problem immediately. ( I also checked that the screws were tight).

It now works perfectly, excellent. Thank you all :Thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 am 
Tench

Mine did this once after I took it apart and re-built it. It might be that the screw holding the bail arm to the head of the reel is too tight. Try loosening them a bit. If that fails, let Nobby have a look at it. It will come back better than when it left the factory! I will not be buying a 300 from anyone else in the future.

EDIT: I'm going blind. I have just seen that the problem is sorted. :Brickwall:

MD