Modern Classic-- ABU Suveran

The ABU Reels forum.
Waterlogged

Re: Modern Classic-- ABU Suveran

Post by Waterlogged »

Strangely i found this forum whilst searching for a Suveran !
still haven't found one, but im enjoying the forum, so it sort of makes up for it !!!

FYI:
I have a CD6 4000 that i picked up NOS in its box for a song, its by far the best all round fixed spool iv'e ever seen. It will be one item of tackle i'll never part with !!!!

Plot36
Roach

Post by Plot36 »

I have just acquired my first Suveran - what a fantastic reel :Thumb:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Probably going to rock the boat a bit here but here goes.
I have owned 3 Suverans, all 4000 size. The first I bought brand new for £110.00 in 2001 (wish I had ordered a dozen) the other two I picked up second hand from ebay for about £80.00 each.
Now don't get me wrong, they are extremely well made and good looking but I found the anti-reverse switch really awkward to use, it was always a two handed operation, I would have thought their engineers would have designed it so a simple flick with one finger would engage or disengage it but it always took two hands to use. I could of got used to that however the worst thing I found with them, well two of them ( I never used the boxed one) was awful line twist.
I found that after a few days of use the line would spill off the spool in coils as soon as the bail arm was open. I suspected a stuck line roller but no it was smooth and easy to turn. I wasn't using them for spinning which could have twisted the line, just general float or legering and I hadn't overloaded the spools with line. I just couldn't fathom it and in the end sold all three of them. (made a good profit by the way but wish I had kept the unused one).
Has anybody else had this problem?

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think at the time I was a big Stroft fan so probably that but I did use the same line on other reels and still do today without any of the same problems.
I did notice the line lay was different to most other reels, in the way it left small bumps or ridges of line in two or three positions along the spool but I have also noticed this pattern in the line lay on my Mitchell 350 Quartz reel which has the same oscillation system but I have had no problems with coils of line spilling off.

There must have been a problem with the anti reverse on one of my reels at least as sometimes i could hardly move it one way or the other and in fact eventually it had to be stripped down because the whole reel jammed solid for no apparent reason. I just took it out of its case one day to use and it wouldn't move at all. Nothing was found inside but after reassembly it worked fine. I wondered if the one way bearing had jammed somehow and releasing the pressure by stripping it down had allowed it to rotate again.
I do however think by reading all the praise this reel gets from all over the world I must have had a couple of Monday morning ones.
Still wish I had kept the unused one. :roll:
Best wishes
Wal.

Return to “ABU Reels”