Closed face reels - 70's nostalgia

The Other Reels forum.
PerchBasher

Closed face reels - 70's nostalgia

Post by PerchBasher »

I sold my two closed face reels (an Abu 506 and a Daiwa 120) about 25 years ago to finance some carp fishing gear (we all make mistakes), but a few months ago at my grandson’s school jumble sale I saw a an Abu 501 on a bric a brac stall. I gave it a twiddle, the pick up seemed OK, the spool still had the chenille, it didn’t appear to have much use and for the princely sum of £1.50 I wasn’t going to argue.

Keeping with the early 1970’s theme, I’ve taken the Sealey Blue Match out of retirement and re-discovered the delights of closed face trotting. I’m afraid my Wallis casting is not all it should be and the CF allows me to get the float out those additional few yards. Took a little time to re-master the art of letting the line pay out over your forefinger trapping is as you strike and then quickly winding forward, but now I’m hooked. Playing anything that wants to take line of the reel is a little interesting, but the drag on the handle does help.

Could early 1970’s nostalgia have a place on the traditional fisherman forum? Are tank tops, loon pants and cheesecloth shirts about to make a come back?

Davyr

Re: Closed face reels - 70's nostalgia

Post by Davyr »

perchbasher wrote:Could early 1970’s nostalgia have a place on the traditional fisherman forum? Are tank tops, loon pants and cheesecloth shirts about to make a come back?
I've always been inclined towards fogeyism, so my '70s clobber would probably not look too dis-similar to what I'm still wearing now (other than the trousers being 6" smaller in the waist).

I'm also still using the Mitchell 300s I bought in the '70s, although the hollow glass rods have long gone.

'70s and '80s fashion was grim though, wasn't it? :roll:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Just for the heck of it I bought a Winfield Roach-Fisher II and a Sealey Blue Match float rod this year.

I love them.

I have no idea why I like to use old gear ....I just do.

It all started about 8 years ago when I bought a 1951 Ferguson TE D tractor.
I loved stripping bits off it and overhauling them, reminding me of the old days of 6 volt electrics, dynamos and oil-bath air filters.

I'm stuck somewhere in the Fifties or Sixties and I don't care. I don't want to grow up!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nobby wrote: It all started about 8 years ago when I bought a 1951 Ferguson TE D tractor.
I loved stripping bits off it and overhauling them, reminding me of the old days of 6 volt electrics, dynamos and oil-bath air filters.
A bit off topic, but I'd love one!

Never used a closed face reel. One of my fishing buddies had and Abu 501 of which I was always envious. That combined with his 13' Bruce and Walker used to out cast my 11' Bennett's of Sheffield special and Mitchell 320 all the time :(
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

I'm not that struck on M300s despite having three in perfectly good order. I might use one of them a couple of times in a season but otherwise I use the infinitely better Shimanos. Cane rods though are a different matter because here I want the feel, the unique action and the pleasure it gives. However, it's the blank thats doing the business, all the rest is cosmetic and often of rubbish quality, so with that in mind I have some time ago committed heresy and reringed a cane rod with single leg Fujis. Rather nice it is too.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Blasphemer !!!

Stone him!

It does sort of make sense though.......

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Weyfarer wrote:I'm not that struck on M300s despite having three in perfectly good order. I might use one of them a couple of times in a season but otherwise I use the infinitely better Shimanos. Cane rods though are a different matter because here I want the feel, the unique action and the pleasure it gives. However, it's the blank thats doing the business, all the rest is cosmetic and often of rubbish quality, so with that in mind I have some time ago committed heresy and reringed a cane rod with single leg Fujis. Rather nice it is too.
I bought a Hardy Wanless 9/10lb over 20 years ago. It is a lovely rod but someone has done exactly this and put Fuji rings on it - yuck! I keep meaning to replace them and no doubt will someday (once I've retired!). On the other hand I could sell it but I always thought no-one would want it.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Other Reels”