Is it Worth it?

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Is it Worth it?

Post by Woodytia »

Some of you may remember a F. J. Taylor Roach rod that had a slightly short butt section. I placed a bid for it and got nowhere near the final price, however I was given the option to buy it at my bid £125 as the winning bidder and others declined second chance offers. The rod has been restored to a high standard and I have used it and even with this problem it did the business. Is it worth getting a full length butt section to replace the short one?

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: Is it Worth it?

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

if it is to be a fishing rod- then in working well as is ,you have answered your own question- leave as is

if it is to be treated as an investment/pension pot etc then only the market can decide- but I could not enjoy fishing with something seen to have a future value- I would be fretting about breaking it rather than fishing

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

They are a pretty big rod as standard...do you think that short handle is spoiling it for you? If it isn't I'd stick with it as it is..getting another handle might take years or lots of money.

I presume you do mean short handle and not the middle section?

Here's the original spec:

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=635

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Thanks for the replies, it is actually the middle cane section that is missing about the top 5 inches. An unusal place for a break in normal use but there it is.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

That's a lot of cash for something defective....I'd save my money and wait for something else to turn up........it usually does, patience is the key
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

How long is the section you are looking for? I have a couple of mid sections not doing anything. Measurements, base of male ferrule to top of female. One is 48" the other 49". The longer is delaminated over the bottom 12" (tapers from 10.8mm down to 7.6mm across flats).
The shorter seems to be sound tapers from 10.1mm to 7.1mm across flats (this has a lot more flex in it) (cane is quite dark)

Any use to you?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”