Trout craft SFR

The Milwards Rods forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

Trout craft SFR

Post by Marc »

Gents,

I have a Milwards troutcraft 8'6" in good order. My question is does anyone use a one, does anyone know what lines they're good with? Don't worry I don't want you to fish with it for me. :Hahaha:

Tight lines
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

SeanM
Tench

Re: Trout craft SFR

Post by SeanM »

The Troutcraft is a later rod than my 1953 catalogue, but the 8ft 6in rods were designed for a 5wt line, or at least the silk equivalent of a 5wt.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I agree with SeanM;
This was-and still is-a delightful 'general' rod for all-round, light/medium fly fishing-and best suited to a #5 silk line. However, because it is unlikely that you will be using a silk one, I can recommend a Cortland 'Sylk', which would be more suitable to the slower action of your rod, though I think you will get better results with a #6 weight, rather than #5. It won't overload the rod for general river work-and if only short casts are going to be the norm, then buy a weight-forward rather than a double-tapered one.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Now that's an answer! Thank you both for your time. One of those will be winging its way to be before the day is out.

Tight lines.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Did it come with the extra-long ferrule plug? You'd think such an enormous piece of wood, comparatively, would be less likely to get lost, but they seem just as prone.....

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

No Nobby, it didn't come with the ferrule plug. I think that the tip of the longer 'tip' section looks quite vulnerable. Think I'll look at making a one.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”