A traditional smoke

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

A traditional smoke

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Thought I would share these pictures from my Harrison museum of traditional bits 'n' bobs.

The cigarettes in the pictures were given to my Grandfather in either 1941 or 1942 whilst he defended our war ships in the Scapa Flow. Both boxes are still full and one of them even has the cellophane wrapper still sealed. It was the first time my Grandfather had seen cellophane.

Wasn't sure whether to post this or not but some of our anglers of the past would have been opening boxes identical to these. I wouldn't imagine there are a lot of these still around with an unbroken seal.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Re: A traditional smoke

Post by Chevin »

Excellent photos shaun, I think the only time I have seen cigarette packets in that condition is in a museum.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Very nice......my Dad used to smoke Woodbines.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

My Grandfather smoked Woodbines too, a green packet from memory.

Really don't know why he never smoked these. I do know he was fascinated by the cellophane wrapper so can understand him wanting to show that particular box to others at the time. My Father seems to think there wasn't usually foil inside the packs either at that time so perhaps Grandfather wanted to show the open pack off too. All the cigarettes are still in place just one box totally sealed and one box open but looks like the cigarettes have never been slid out of the pack.

My Fathers football magazine collection from his childhood shows the top footballers of the day with one foot on the ball, arms folded across their chests and a cigarette hanging out of their mouths with the words along the lines of if you want to be a great footballer then you need to smoke these.

How things change.

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

I see it says 'emergency packing'.
I wonder if that refers to the cellophane, or maybe something to do with wartime issue?

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”