what about the craftversa

The Milwards Rods forum.
DaveTheRod

what about the craftversa

Post by DaveTheRod »

Have you forgot the Craftversa 2 peice 11ft 3 inch.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: what about the craftversa

Post by Nobby »

It's a rod we've spoken of a few times Dave, but they aren't half rare as they seem only to have been made for 2 years before Milwards closed down.

Owning something similar from Aspindale, I bet they were lovely!

I've had a waggle of just one, in a tackle shop with a low roof, so it was a very gentle waggle :)

We've seen just one on eBay a year or so back and it was damaged beyond repair.

Edward Barder famously made a copy for a short period, surely unaware that the reverse taper butt had a European Patent granted to Milwards.

If I ever have the money to commision a newly-built rod....it'll be a Craftversa.

:laugh:

Fat chance!

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Gone but certainly not forgotten, thanks to our very own Mr Andrew J Davis:

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... craftversa

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

Dave the rod, I've been reading (and weeping) as to how many rare rods you have, please don't tell me you've got two of them, in mint condition? :brickwall:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

This site is so vast that one occasionally misses things.

I had no idea our own Bumble had commisioned a Craftversa!

I like the look of the rod very much, but was wondering why the cork handle had been shaped differently to the original rod?

Still want one!

DaveTheRod

Post by DaveTheRod »

sorry,i am a bit of a sleeping volcano,just a little peep.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Nobby I spent many sleepless nights worrying about the handle but the project was an appreciation of a classic rod I dont like the original shaped handle hence I went with my heart not my head having used the rod today I have no reason to question my decision.
I do understand however your comment.
Bumble

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Hope you caught that monster chub on it Bumble, and also managed not to fall intothe river with the new rod :D

<edit> Just seen your other thread - well done!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Bumble, I hope that handle question didn't come across as a criticism....your rod after all. I hope it proves to be an absolute belter!
I like the way the buider has built in dams....I don't think any of the UK makers were that thorough in the Sixties

So, Dave....you've found a Craftversa? Just as Christmas approaches and I'm skint :cry:

I can lay my hands on a complete set of photographs of an unrestored and original one for you if the rod needs restoring and there's no indication of where the rings go.

DaveTheRod

Post by DaveTheRod »

thankyou nobby,i will be very honest two rings had been re-whipped badly,got up at 7am and done them,i must say you have to look very hard to see them now,i have around 1000 spools of whipping thread so i took some and whipped 3 lots on a spare bit of cane,gave it a coat of varnish to see which one came up with a match after the varnish,luckly its a perfect match.the rod scores 8 0f 10 on condition.did not know a lot about the craftversa before,but what a rod.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”