WHAT IS IT !!!!

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Stour Otter
Grayling

WHAT IS IT !!!!

Post by Stour Otter »

A quick stroll around the local car boot today, threw up an oddity. Hidden amongst an ice cream carton of old fishing bits was this strange object. At first I thought it may be something to do with fly tying, or perhaps for tying fishing line to hooks. Then the doubt set in, is it some kind of sewing machine accessory! 

Can anyone pin this one down.

John

At least the book will be a good read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

John Milford
Grayling

Re: WHAT IS IT !!!!

Post by John Milford »

It looks like a little wire former for making neat twisted loops. Handy for all sorts of fishing applications where heavier single strand wires need to be twisted - booms, wire traces and spinner making being examples.

Nice find! :Thumb:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

John Milford wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:42 am It looks like a little wire former for making neat twisted loops. Handy for all sorts of fishing applications where heavier single strand wires need to be twisted - booms, wire traces and spinner making being examples.

Good point, I can see that one.

Thanks John
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Stour Otter wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:47 am
John Milford wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:42 am It looks like a little wire former for making neat twisted loops. Handy for all sorts of fishing applications where heavier single strand wires need to be twisted - booms, wire traces and spinner making being examples.

Good point, I can see that one.

Thanks John

John you nailed it. I've never seen one before.

Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stour Otter on Sun May 26, 2024 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

It’s not the only tier out there.

This one is for tying blood knots.

I’m happy tying blood knots but on a cold day when your fingers aren’t too nimble it can be a boon.

I picked this up for a few pennies but to buy nowadays as a new item it’s between £20-£50 :shocked:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”