A couple of my vintage US made spin reels

The Other Reels forum.
Woodbilly
Gudgeon

A couple of my vintage US made spin reels

Post by Woodbilly »

Just thought I'd post up a couple of my unique vintage US made spin reels.

First one is a 1953 Pflueger Pelican 1020 made in Akron Ohio.
It has a special oscillation, as well. The spool remains fixed and the rotor goes both up and down, vertically, and rotates, in order to lay the line. It also has a poly ring gear. 2.75:1 ratio
Very neat reel and surprisingly smooth, plus, they can still be had for $25-$35 USD today. Mine came with spare spool in factory box.

Second one is a rare 1954 Heddon Spin Pal 260 with original box and manual. Made in Dowagiac, Michigan
This one is very unique because it has an automatic no touch bail. Rotate handle backwards slightly and this opens the bail without contact. Very cool reel. The original sticker name badge was long gone, so I added an old Indian head nickel. Left the battle scars, too. Perfect!
Also, 2.75:1 ratio
Love using this one. I call her "BlackBetty"

I have caught a bunch of crappie on both of these old girls.

Peace!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Woodbilly on Mon May 06, 2024 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steven Wecker
Ozark hills Lake of the Ozarks Missouri, USA

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good fishing story."

John Milford
Grayling

Re: A couple of my vintage US made spin reels

Post by John Milford »

That Pflueger Pelican! A thing of beauty.

I'm a big time Pflueger fan myself. :Thumb:

ImageImageImageImage
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Woodbilly
Gudgeon

Post by Woodbilly »

Awesome! Im a spin reel guy, so really know nothing of baitcasters. Those lures are works of art!! (as are the reels)
Steven Wecker

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Woodbilly wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:12 am Just thought I'd post up a couple of my unique vintage US made spin reels.

It has a special oscillation, as well. The

Second one is a rare 1954 Heddon Spin Pal 260 with original box and manual. Made in Dowagiac, Michigan
This one is very unique because it has an automatic no touch bail. Rotate handle backwards slightly and this opens the bail without contact. Very cool reel. The original sticker name badge was long gone, so I added an old Indian head nickel. Left the battle scars, too. Perfect!

Peace!
I think the addition of the warrior's head to the battle-scarred Heddon is a lovely touch.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

John Milford wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:49 am That Pflueger Pelican! A thing of beauty.

I'm a big time Pflueger fan myself. :Thumb:

ImageImageImageImage
Those Pflueger multipliers are lovely, but the Elarex still wears the beauty queen crown in my eyes.
Though what it’s like to fish with, I have no idea!

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Woodbilly wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:12 am Just thought I'd post up a couple of my unique vintage US made spin reels.

It has a special oscillation, as well. The spool remains fixed and the rotor goes both up and down, vertically, and rotates, in order to lay the line. It also has a poly ring gear. 2.75:1 ratio
Very neat reel and surprisingly smooth, plus, they can still be had for $25-$35 USD today. Mine came with spare spool in factory box.

Peace!
Lovely reels expertly photographed.

Woodbilly
Gudgeon

Post by Woodbilly »

Thank you, sir!
Steven Wecker

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

You do have some wonderful reels there Woodbilly, thank you for showing them to us. And I love that you add the stripdown photos too (brave man!).

I also have a Pflueger Pelican like yours, which was previously owned by our own Russell Howard Brown here, and yes, that rotor oscillation threw me off a bit when I first tried it out.

Woodbilly
Gudgeon

Post by Woodbilly »

Rockape wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:23 pm You do have some wonderful reels there Woodbilly, thank you for showing them to us. And I love that you add the stripdown photos too (brave man!).

I also have a Pflueger Pelican like yours, which was previously owned by our own Russell Howard Brown here, and yes, that rotor oscillation threw me off a bit when I first tried it out.
I love restoring these old reels.
Many I've done, worked fine when I got them, but I've just always had a thing about disassembling mechanical items since I was a kid.
Can't help myself. I love seeing how things work. Lol
Steven Wecker

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Woodbilly wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:20 pm
Rockape wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:23 pm You do have some wonderful reels there Woodbilly, thank you for showing them to us. And I love that you add the stripdown photos too (brave man!).

I love restoring these old reels.
Many I've done, worked fine when I got them, but I've just always had a thing about disassembling mechanical items since I was a kid.
Can't help myself. I love seeing how things work. Lol
And I bet your favourite aftershave is WD40.

Return to “Other Reels”