Surface protection for Hardy Reels

The Hardy Reels forum.
Mike Crompton
Gudgeon

Surface protection for Hardy Reels

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
Does anyone have information about the use of a “silicon impregnated cloth” to use on the surface of these reels? I understand these cloths are used on shotguns and rifles to give some protection from damp. I am concerned as to whether it will damage the patina surfaces. With the age of these reels I am hesitant to do anything that would affect the surfaces. Also would such a cloth affect a painted surface as found on Mitchell or JW Young reels?
I would be grateful for any advice on the best substances to use.
Many thanks.
Mike

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Surface protection for Hardy Reels

Post by Paul F »

I use one on my old aerials & hardy reels after I wash them, without adverse effects, it brings up discoloured handles very nicely too

Mike Crompton
Gudgeon

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi, Paul,
Thanks for your reply, it is most helpful.
Mike

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I've been using a gunsmiths cloth on my Allcocks, Hardy, Mitchells, ABU and Youngs centrepins and fixed spool reels for several years now.
As Paul F says, I clean my reels with a damp cloth when they get a bit grimy, then when they are dry, a 30 second rub with a silicone cloth gives them a lovely lustre and feel to them.
And the next time you use the reel in the rain, it's strangely pleasing to see water droplets beading up on it.

The quality of so-called silcone cloths does vary quite a bit. The best I've found is a Bisley Universal Sportsman's Cloth - a gunsmiths cloth.I suppose they should rename it 'Universal Sportsperson's Cloth' these dsys.

I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last. Can you recharge them with a blast of Pledge, I wonder? :Confused:

Mike Crompton
Gudgeon

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi, Banksy.
Thanks for your detailed reply. It is very helpful and I shall take your advice and that of Paul.
Mike

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

A liquid silicone treatment like ArmourAll (aimed at protecting car dashboards) will give a similar effect, as will the likes of MrSheen etc. just check the list of contents on the bottle/can

Return to “Hardy Reels”