A Fly Reel Quiz.

General fly fishing chat area.
Mr B
Arctic Char

A Fly Reel Quiz.

Post by Mr B »

Bellow is a photo of the gearing on one of my fly reels. ( a reel recommended by Charles Jardine)
Whats going on? All you experts will know..
but all answers interesting..
Just a bit of course fishing close idling.
Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: A Fly Reel Quiz.

Post by Paul F »

It is geared, so is a multiplyer for a faster retrieve, it has 2 check pawl's for either left or right hand wind
Nice reel๐Ÿ‘

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Paul F wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 pm It is geared, so is a multiplyer for a faster retrieve, it has 2 check pawl's for either left or right hand wind
Nice reel๐Ÿ‘
Thats right,
Middle photo no check on at all.. bottom photo?
Right or left hand wind?
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I knew Charles very well but have not seen him for at least 30 years if not more. He recommended the same reels to me Steve Parton was a tackle tester for Shakespear when they had a big place in Redditch and I bought loads of them for every different line weight I had plus the same for my son. I seem to remember Charles had a very nice Medalist and I eventually acquire one. great reels and very similar in design.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

StefanDuma wrote: โ†‘Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am I knew Charles very well but have not seen him for at least 30 years if not more. He recommended the same reels to me Steve Parton was a tackle tester for Shakespear when they had a big place in Redditch and I bought loads of them for every different line weight I had plus the same for my son. I seem to remember Charles had a very nice Medalist and I eventually acquire one. great reels and very similar in design.
I must say it seems a nice reel. I haven't used it yet.
It came boxed a few years ago and has a spare spool.
I wanted one when I read a report some were about the reel, then I noticed it again in my Sotheby's fly fishing book by Charles Jardine.
I know your rather partial to fishing reels, especially a simple design, with a touch of class.
Thanks for your comment.
Mr B
Ps... going back to look again at your web site.

Cane Newbie
Minnow

Post by Cane Newbie »

The question has been answered.

I have Jardine's mighty tome on Fly fishing as well, it confused me into thinking certain "brands" where British because all the reels where made in England.

Going down in quality to Intrepid Gearfly which has a similar layout but cheaper materials. Also a LH - RH pawl check although the pawls are plastic not metal so it's quieter and a rim tension adjuster.

Hardy and Orvis also do similar geared set up's, and a few others as well.
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
Been cleaning mine ready for use :Cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Cane Newbie wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:17 am The question has been answered.

I have Jardine's mighty tome on Fly fishing as well, it confused me into thinking certain "brands" where British because all the reels where made in England.

Going down in quality to Intrepid Gearfly which has a similar layout but cheaper materials. Also a LH - RH pawl check although the pawls are plastic not metal so it's quieter and a rim tension adjuster.
Hardy and Orvis also do similar geared set up's, and a few others as well.

IMG_0580.JPGIMG_0579.JPG

Been cleaning mine ready for use :Cool:
Some nice reels there, and based on the same mechanical theme, imagine the Hardy reel would have 'The Edge"
Going back to the question it was partly answered....
"Thats right,
Middle photo no check on at all.. bottom photo?
Right or left hand wind?"

Mr B

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

The Orvis Battenkill multiplier is another, made by British Fly Reels when they were in Plymouth I believe. Your reel looks like its in need of some grease before use MrB :Hat:

Cane Newbie
Minnow

Post by Cane Newbie »

@Mr B

Middle looks like No check, so silent unchecked running in either LHW or RHW.

Bottom looks like LHW.

In my limited experience, my Gearflys are silent wind but a soft tick when drawing line out as i use minimal tension. I can set both pawls to engage then get checked draw and wind in but it's not ment to run that way as a fair bit of drag. The plastic pawls are quieter.

Ramp up the tension adjuster and reel starts to sound or sing more like a metal pawl one.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Cane Newbie wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:24 pm @Mr B

Middle looks like No check, so silent unchecked running in either LHW or RHW.

Bottom looks like LHW.

In my limited experience, my Gearflys are silent wind but a soft tick when drawing line out as i use minimal tension. I can set both pawls to engage then get checked draw and wind in but it's not ment to run that way as a fair bit of drag. The plastic pawls are quieter.

Ramp up the tension adjuster and reel starts to sound or sing more like a metal pawl one.
Well, your right about the middle no check on.
The bottom picture... RHW...
That is Quieter check winding in, a tad louder when a fish is running or stripping line from the reel. (I'm right hand wind)
This reel needs a little reel grease dabbed on before I use it ( rightly spotted by Liphook) and the line taken off and some more backing put on.
(I'll just wind it on the other spool, fly line first and add some more backing on the existing backing to get the right amount, then wind it back on again so it will be filled just right.)
A lot if old chat but it was a bit of a quiz anyway.
Your Gearflys seem nice..a little less raucous in the ratchet region! My go to fly reel is like that but I've forgotten the make now!
I've just got to get out and have an amble.

Mr B

Return to โ€œGeneral Fly Chatโ€