Twin taper tips

The Milwards Rods forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Twin taper tips

Post by Harry H »

Are the twin taper tips the same on the Swimversa and Featherlite seniors?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Re: Twin taper tips

Post by Eddy Pools »

I only recently acquired a Swimversa, the earlier type with a whole cane splice in the joint. The tip is a couple of inches short and, although it doesn't have a sticker, it has a twin taper. I'm still in the process of refurbishing it

The tops on my Senior Featherlight and Swimversa are quite different

The lengths are different and the tapers are also different, the Senior Featherlight being notably thicker at the male ferrule and the change in tapers more pronounced.

Here's the two rods together

I hope that this helps.

Geoff

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

It depends on the age and length, my 14’ senior Featherlite tip is very similar to the late Swimversa I have but the 12’ is quite a lot different at the ferrule end, the reverse taper is further along the section on the Swimversa too. But as all three rods were restored before I got them, and the one I restored myself doesn’t have a twin taper tip as that was lost before I acquired it, my hope was to use a Senior Featherlite tip to make it correct, but the rod was so nice I couldn’t warrant cannibalising it even if it had been right.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Greentura wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:20 pm It depends on the age and length, my 14’ senior Featherlite tip is very similar to the late Swimversa I have but the 12’ is quite a lot different at the ferrule end, the reverse taper is further along the section on the Swimversa too. But as all three rods were restored before I got them, and the one I restored myself doesn’t have a twin taper tip as that was lost before I acquired it, my hope was to use a Senior Featherlite tip to make it correct, but the rod was so nice I couldn’t warrant cannibalising it even if it had been right.
Thanks for the response :Hat: It just one of those things I'd wondered about as you do.
I too have a 14ft version and previous to owning that I had bought a Swimversa from the unmentionable site which got sent back due to undisclosed repair on the tip. It was during the restoration of the Featherlite senior that the thought first reared its head.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”