Losing rod and reel to fast taking carp

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Titus
Minnow

Re: Losing rod and reel to fast tatking carp

Post by Titus »

Thanks for advice and welcome regards titus

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Losing rod and reel to fast taking carp

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Hello Titus,

Welcome to forum. A few years ago, I bought a used Hardy No. 1 Carp rod from someone and asked if he had had any interesting fish with that rod. He replied that he once had a run from a carp, while drifting off to sleep, which pulled the rod and its reel off the rests and into the water. The next morning, he saw the cork handle floating out in the middle of the lake, so he stripped off and swam out to retrieve it. He got to the rod and found that the fish was still attached. He loosened the drag then swam back to shore with the rod, after which he soon landed an eight pounder. The rod was good value for money but the story is priceless.

Enjoy the forum,

G. B.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Titus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:16 pm Hello from worcs this is my first post last year l lost a mk lll rod and centrepin reel to a fast taking carp this happened before I could react needless to say l was upset.l now guard against this by looping a cable tie on the rod handle looping another cable tie through the first one and securing round the rear bank stick l wondered if this has happened to any other members. Rod and reel have been replaced

regards titus
Hello titus.... I know the feeling read this :oops:
Here's the link: viewtopic.php?t=29660

Fortunately I managed to retrieve my Chapman 550 and Mitchell 410 with Carp still attached. :shocked:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Nearly happened to me when fishing for eels when a big one just tore off with no warning and somehow the line didn't come off the reel (can't remember why). But I just managed to grab the last few inches of the rods butt before it was dragged off into the water. Luckily I was sitting right next to the rod, but I was attending to a second rod at the time. That's one of the perils of fishing with two rods, it's nye on impossible to focus on both of at any time.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Or, you can hold the rod.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Post by Mike Crompton »

HI,
I remember my fishing buddy "Ron" moved away from his single float rod to find yet another sandwich only to hear a noise and see his rod and reel javelin into the water at a remarkable speed. The set up dissappeared from view and we all thought he had lost the lot. There was much discussion about the size of the carp. As time passed the size increased and he recounted his loss to other anglers who would listen. In the late afternoon we saw the tip of a rod appear on the surface. This was the lost rod and reel? I cast over and managed to hook the line and slowly got the rod to the bank. i thought there was weed on the line as it felt heavy. The set up was given back to Ron who started to wind in and to our amazement the fish was still hooked. It must have been very tired for it did not put up a struggle. It was netted, Common carp of about three pounds.
It just showed that even a smallish Carp has power. We all thought it must have been a bigger fish.
The moral is "Keep you sandwiches close to hand".
Tight lines.
Mike

Titus
Minnow

Post by Titus »

Interesting stuff thanks regards Kevin (Titus)

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Pull up a pew, pour a favourite tipple and enjoy the banter…. :cheers:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

GameKeeper
Bleak

Post by GameKeeper »

A very warm welcome