Book's I read again and again

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Solithar
Roach

Re: Book's I read again and again

Post by Solithar »

In English:
How to Fish (Chris Yates)
The Lost Diary (Chris Yates)
Various fishy books - 18th, 19th and early 20th century :read:
The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)

:Hat:
Lucian,
A beginner angler thankful for the endless and blessed joy of angling.

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

For me its the old mags from the 60/70's, Coarse fisherman,Angling, Coarse angler etc etc, I read them from cover to cover time and time again,happy days

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Tizer wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:18 pm For me its the old mags from the 60/70's, Coarse fisherman,Angling, Coarse angler etc etc, I read them from cover to cover time and time again,happy days
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Santiago wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:35 am The old Man and the sea, I've lost count of how many times I have read this one. Oddly , I didn't enjoy it so much when I had to read it at school . Another great on is Three Men in a Boat. I think I have read it about ten times. Not much for reading angling books over and over again though.
Couldn’t agree more Trevor, great books.

Treeman
Gudgeon

Post by Treeman »

Does anyone remember the Commando and war booklets from the 60's I used to love them.
AKA Russell

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Ryeman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:01 am Jonah's Dream by Sven Berlin.
Another vote for this one.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Treeman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:56 pm Does anyone remember the Commando and war booklets from the 60's I used to love them.
They still sell them in the paper shop, I wanted to start buying them for my grandson's but the missue's said they were not suitable, have you seen some of them games they play on their consoles.? :Confused:

Treeman
Gudgeon

Post by Treeman »

Tizer wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:55 pm
Treeman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:56 pm Does anyone remember the Commando and war booklets from the 60's I used to love them.
They still sell them in the paper shop, I wanted to start buying them for my grandson's but the missue's said they were not suitable, have you seen some of them games they play on their consoles.? :Confused:
I never new that they still sold them, my grandsons the same they blow people to bit's on the console thingy 😳
AKA Russell

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Let me recommend a book:

‘How I Came to Know Fish’ by Ota Pavel.

Just fantastic.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I’m not a big reader of angling books but all the ones I have most enjoyed are anthologies or collections. They suit my preference for dipping in and out according to whim. So, I couldn’t even begin to calculate which I have read several times.

Three books I often revisit are also collections: “Letters from a Stoic” by Seneca, “Meditations” by Marcus Aurelius and the collected essays of Michel de Montaigne.

As a book dipper, I usually have a few on the go and the current 2 are both slim volumes: “Liberalism” by Leonard Hobhouse and “The Politics of Obedience: a discourse on voluntary servitude” by Etienne de La Boetie (a great friend of Montaigne).

The only 2 books I have ever re-read from cover to cover, and that dozens of times, are “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” by J R R Tolkien. Books I first read at the age of about 12 at the suggestion of one of those inspirational teachers who transform children’s lives.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”