Dartford lakes

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Treeman
Gudgeon

Dartford lakes

Post by Treeman »

I was taking a trip down memory lane with my friend about were we used to fish as boys, in the 60's and early 70's I used to get the train from Lee station to Dartford then walk through the town to Dartford lakes although it was 50+ years ago I have fond memories of learning to fish for Perch and Gudgeon of which I totally enjoyed and still do to this day both are still my favourite fish, then after a few hours I would walk back to my nans flat on Temple hill for my tea then got the train home such great memories.
Does anyone remember Dartford lakes and is it still there !!! they probably turned it into another carp syndicate :Confused:
AKA Russell

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Dartford lakes

Post by Olly »

Lots of lakes in the Dartford - Sutton at Hone - Darenth area.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I grew up local, it is still run by DDAPS, and you can buy a day ticket, £15 on the bank too.

Treeman
Gudgeon

Post by Treeman »

Olly wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:01 pm Lots of lakes in the Dartford - Sutton at Hone - Darenth area.
The lakes were just by the town
AKA Russell

Treeman
Gudgeon

Post by Treeman »

Paul F wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:03 pm I grew up local, it is still run by DDAPS, and you can buy a day ticket, £15 on the bank too.
That's great Paul nice to know its still around and open for all to fish I do remember it was a mecca for Carp fisherman,
not that I fished for them then I was just learning :Happy:
AKA Russell

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

I think the particular lake you are referring to Treeman, is Brooklands Lake at Dartford?

There were two main access points, one on the A2 at what (used to be?) 'Gelston's Garage' and another at the end of Powder Mill Lane.

I used to catch the old 701/702 Green Line bus there from Shooters Hill as a young teenager, late 60s to early 70s.

The lake still conjures up great early fishing memories, as does the other DDAPS day-ticket lake complex at Horton Kirby which was on the same bus route.

As far as I know, both lakes are still pretty much the same as I remember them, save a for bit of over-zealous tree surgery at Horton Kirby on the main lake.

(I've not walked around either for well over 20 years, so hopefully the trees may have recovered by now!).
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Treeman
Gudgeon

Post by Treeman »

John Milford wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:35 pm I think the particular lake you are referring to Treeman, is Brooklands Lake at Dartford?

There were two main access points, one on the A2 at what (used to be?) 'Gelston's Garage' and another at the end of Powder Mill Lane.

I used to catch the old 701/702 Green Line bus there from Shooters Hill as a young teenager, late 60s to early 70s.

The lake still conjures up great early fishing memories, as does the other DDAPS day-ticket lake complex at Horton Kirby which was on the same bus route.

As far as I know, both lakes are still pretty much the same as I remember them, save a for bit of over-zealous tree surgery at Horton Kirby on the main lake.

(I've not walked around either for well over 20 years, so hopefully the trees may have recovered by now!).
That's fantastic John thank you, I also remember Horton Kirby although I didn't fish there as much as Dartford 😊👍
AKA Russell

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Treeman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:30 pm
Paul F wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:03 pm I grew up local, it is still run by DDAPS, and you can buy a day ticket, £15 on the bank too.
That's great Paul nice to know its still around and open for all to fish I do remember it was a mecca for Carp fisherman,
There's a lot of great historical info on the DDAPS website. The list of carp fisherman who fished there in the 60s reads like a 'who's who' to our generation, (but I doubt if many of today's carpers have even heard of them).

I remember being there early one morning (with my Dad and twin brother) in the very early 70s, when someone had a 23 pounder off the 'cinders' bank. As was the norm in those days, the captor was soon surrounded by an admiring crowd and revered as a local hero!

https://www.ddaps.org/d-d-a-p-s-club-hi ... beginning/
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Treeman
Gudgeon

Post by Treeman »

John Milford wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:26 pm
Treeman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:30 pm
There's a lot of great historical info on the DDAPS website. The list of carp fisherman who fished there in the 60s reads like a 'who's who' to our generation, (but I doubt if many of today's carpers have even heard of them).

I remember being there early one morning (with my Dad and twin brother) in the very early 70s, when someone had a 23 pounder off the 'cinders' bank. As was the norm in those days, the captor was soon surrounded by an admiring crowd and revered as a local hero!

https://www.ddaps.org/d-d-a-p-s-club-hi ... beginning/
Thanks for the information John I'll have a look on the website many thanks
AKA Russell

Treeman
Gudgeon

Post by Treeman »

I've just finished reading the information on the website it's so fascinating an excellent read best of all 10 bob to fish for the day :Hahaha:
thanks again really enjoyable :Thumb:
AKA Russell

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”