Redmire pool short videos

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Snape
Bailiff

Redmire pool short videos

Post by Snape »

Until 2012 I used to fish Redmire pool every couple of years, usually in July. Long before the recent restoration project and before it the agricultural run off turned it chocolate brown.

Here are some short videos I filmed in July 2010 to try to catch some of the atmosphere of the place.
No fish landed unfortunately....

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Dave F
Grayling

Re: Redmire pool short videos

Post by Dave F »

Thank you for posting. Visited Redmire 6th May 2007. Never got to fish there though.
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Very nice viewing those Snape, thank-you. I was invited to go and visit many, many years ago, but it was winter and I didn’t want to spoil my imaginary picture of it all. Of course, the real magic was in the early to mid-fifties when everything had the absolute mystery.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Really enjoyed them Snape, thanks for posting ... "A short glimpse into some tranquility in this crazy world"
Like many of us, have read and drooled over its history but it dose seem now best kept to our romantic side.
Thank you Snape.
Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Lovely videos Nigel.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Well done Nigel, thoroughly enjoyed those. What a place.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Really nice videos Nigel. Brings back memories for me of a 1.5 acre pool I used to fish between 2007 and 2010, where weed growth and water clarity looked exactly like in your videos.
Now that everyone knows there are no longer any giant carp in Redmire, since the draining and restoration back in 2018?, it seems strange that they have kept it such a closely guarded secret about what they found the stock actually consisted of when it was drained.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Julian wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:21 am Really nice videos Nigel. Brings back memories for me of a 1.5 acre pool I used to fish between 2007 and 2010, where weed growth and water clarity looked exactly like in your videos.
Now that everyone knows there are no longer any giant carp in Redmire, since the draining and restoration back in 2018?, it seems strange that they have kept it such a closely guarded secret about what they found the stock actually consisted of when it was drained.
Thanks Julian
It’s pretty well known that nothing over 30lb came out in the restoration but most of the fish died when relocated to Little Redmire. They were replaced by stocked fish of Redmire lineage. There now is a fish around 30lb and plenty of 20s.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mike Crompton
Minnow

Post by Mike Crompton »

Well done Nigel. I enjoyed viewing the videos. Never had the chance to visit the famous water. Perhaps I would be disappointed to visit now when many of its earlier characteristics have changed. I am not keen on returning to old haunts for change is inevitable. Memories though remain of the past experiences.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Snape wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:25 pm
Julian wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:21 am Really nice videos Nigel. Brings back memories for me of a 1.5 acre pool I used to fish between 2007 and 2010, where weed growth and water clarity looked exactly like in your videos.
Thanks Julian
It’s pretty well known that nothing over 30lb came out in the restoration but most of the fish died when relocated to Little Redmire. They were replaced by stocked fish of Redmire lineage. There now is a fish around 30lb and plenty of 20s.
Thanks for that info, I didn’t know any of that, other than the restocking had Redmire lineage fish included and that they have now reached over 30lbs .Do they know why most of the fish died when removed ?
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Redmire Pool”