Sound: reality and watching films/video/programmes

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
DaceAce
Eel

Sound: reality and watching films/video/programmes

Post by DaceAce »

Rather than continue within the topic re SK making videos for PDAS I've started a new topic.

A few thoughts occurred to me regarding fishing and filming in noisy places.

Where you're FISHING the human mind filters out extraneous sound due to your concentration on your float/rod tip and what's happening. Traffic noise vanishes from your consciousness though a siren might jolt it back into your hearing. Similarly background birdsong can disappear until you hear the shrill call of a kingfisher.

When you're watching a programme/video/film your concentration is on that programme/video/film not what might be background sounds outside etc. Sometimes what is on in the room is ignored even though you're hearing it; a good example for me is reading the paper in the morning when my wife has the radio on with the 'Golden Hour'; often after it finishes neither of us can recall hearing what year it was - we'd heard the music but our concentration in on what we're reading.

What all this means is that programme/video/film makers need to get the sound right and screen out the noise; personally I hate ubiquitous music commonly found on many TV programmes and not what I hear when fishing.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Sound: reality and watching films/video/programmes

Post by Dave Burr »

I totally agree with your music comment. TV abhors a silence unless it leads up to a shock moment, the continuous background music is generally unnecessary. Mrs B watches some of these BBC dramas that have a soft musical background throughout, the Midwife thingy has a soundtrack that could lead you to suicide were it played alone but I suppose, it sets a mood of concern, care and girlie stuff. These programs are just there to make people cry aren't they?

The wind in the trees, birds and the sound of a clutch or pin is more than enough - or bite alarms, bait boats, lager tins opening and joyous lads banter :Chuckle:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Totally agree Mark.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

All I know chaps is that personally I can’t fish with background traffic noise of the nature we heard in that video. Perhaps I’m lucky having places to fish where it’s not an issue. One may hear a distant farm vehicle occasionally or maybe in the winter months a far off chainsaw, or a shotgun but these are sounds which are part of country life and are never intrusive for long periods unlike the constant drone of traffic from a busy road….
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

It’s an interesting theory, but wherever and whoever came up with the synopsis/survey results didn’t have a chat with me.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

SussexMan
Bleak

Post by SussexMan »

Anyone whose fishing has to be conducted against a wall of traffic noise deserves huge sympathy. There's a gravel pit in Cambridgeshire notorious for it, for example. Some noises simply cannot be ignored. Pasting deafening heavy metal music over an angling film is guaranteed to lose at least one potential viewer. On television generally (not just angling items), the producers mistakenly think that a human voice is insufficient to hold an audience, hence the never-ending interference of background (and often foreground) music. For most of my television watching I invoke the MUTE button, then peacefully read the subtitles.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

SussexMan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:13 pm Anyone whose fishing has to be conducted against a wall of traffic noise deserves huge sympathy. There's a gravel pit in Cambridgeshire notorious for it, for example. Some noises simply cannot be ignored. Pasting deafening heavy metal music over an angling film is guaranteed to lose at least one potential viewer. On television generally (not just angling items), the producers mistakenly think that a human voice is insufficient to hold an audience, hence the never-ending interference of background (and often foreground) music. For most of my television watching I invoke the MUTE button, then peacefully read the subtitles.
RBTraditional wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:11 pm All I know chaps is that personally I can’t fish with background traffic noise of the nature we heard in that video. Perhaps I’m lucky having places to fish where it’s not an issue. One may hear a distant farm vehicle occasionally or maybe in the winter months a far off chainsaw, or a shotgun but these are sounds which are part of country life and are never intrusive for long periods unlike the constant drone of traffic from a busy road….
I think some brains can scan background noise out. On 4 occasions I have lived next to railway lines, on several more I have lived on major roads. In each case, after a few days, I ceased to notice the background noise.

Occasionally, I fish an LAA water called Stollies with my girlfriend (it’s civilised and has a portaloo!). It’s right above the M25 ……… within a few minutes of starting fishing, neither of us notice the constant hum of one of the busiest roads in the world!

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Ah ha… your first paragraph Phil certainly does explain your ability to shut sound out. For myself I’ve always lived out in the sticks, I enjoy the peace and quiet and perhaps because I’m not used to background traffic noise has a huge bearing on where I choose to fish…. :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

RBTraditional wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:41 pm Ah ha… your first paragraph Phil certainly does explain your ability to shut sound out. For myself I’ve always lived out in the sticks, I enjoy the peace and quiet and perhaps because I’m not used to background traffic noise has a huge bearing on where I choose to fish…. :Hat:
The silence was deafening :Hahaha:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:57 pm
RBTraditional wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:41 pm Ah ha… your first paragraph Phil certainly does explain your ability to shut sound out. For myself I’ve always lived out in the sticks, I enjoy the peace and quiet and perhaps because I’m not used to background traffic noise has a huge bearing on where I choose to fish…. :Hat:
The silence was deafening :Hahaha:
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

I’ve been a city boy too long I think! Born and brought up in small towns with only one 12 month stint of rural life!

Phil

Return to “Fishing Films”