Maurice Wiggin

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
DaceAce
Eel

Re: Maurice Wiggin

Post by DaceAce »

One I forgot is The Memoirs of a Maverick, also recommended.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

There all recommended - dive in. Your bound to have a leaning - compelling title or no.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

"Fishing for Beginners" has a rich vein of dry self-deprecating wit that makes it a joy to read. He suggests that you might as well chose a spot that you like, as you're going to be sat there for quite some time...
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

I have read all of his books I think. Even one on the motor car. He is a superb writer.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I was given "Fishing for beginners" about 1964 by my parents.It was my go to fishing book for years.Some very good advice along with,by todays standards,some very "iffy" advice eg "smoke a ciggy whilst waiting for the Pike to turn the bait".

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

I too had "Fishing for Beginners” as a parental gift around 1964 (marking the moment when they finally realised they had to give up their Plan A, to dissuade me from taking up fishing!).

The comments that it is a good, evocative book but does have some dodgy advice (by modern standards) sound absolutely right. From memory - which admittedly may be wrong - I think it was this book that contained the alarming comment that “I would rather lose half the fish I hook than have the fearful bother of carrying a landing net” !!

Despite that, I did like the book and am sorry I don’t still have it.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I could have been sure I had that book but I can't now find it. I have a few others from the same period.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”