A Wally Chub

This forum is for discussing chub.
Moley
Brown Trout

A Wally Chub

Post by Moley »

Floods, floods and more floods.

Even the tiny Wallington was carrying an over abundant payload. However the upside to this turn of events is that sometimes the hidden larger chub are forced to quit their strongholds, where to fish for them is folly, and move home albeit temporarily, allowing a short Fat Bloke a chance at 'em.

And lo it was so:

At just a smidge over four, this fish probably represents one of the larger fish of this ilk in the river.

So not to put too fine a point on it, fish such as this are catchable in extremis. The conditions were not good, the river fit to burst, Fat Bloke verily soaked but the plus was the unseasonably warm temp at 11c.

Tackle employed was a Rapidex, Chapman 500, 4lb Maxima and 20g Olivette direct to a size eight Drennan Hook and chunk of Luncheon Meat, mostly scoffed by some ravenous Fatty, with tea and bad singing as well.

A veil will be drawn over the abuse said hero received upon his triumphant return home as he squelched over a freshly mopped floor.

It has to be said no one appreciates a true genius in his lifetime......oh well.

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: A Wally Chub

Post by Catfish.017 »

That's a very world weary looking Chub Moley, are you sure you didn't' find it floating in a backwater? :Scared: :Scared: well done for getting out though (and catching :Hat:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Well done Moley... thats a lump from the Wally,... :Hat: :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Well done Moley,
Cracking Chub, well worth the effort and a good dousing!
Keep up the good work, good angling and the bad singing!

Mr B
Ps once the can of spam is opened, its a crime for any Castronaught worth his salts to save it.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Catfish.017 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:43 am That's a very world weary looking Chub Moley, are you sure you didn't' find it floating in a backwater? :Scared: :Scared: well done for getting out though (and catching :Hat:
:Hahaha:

Moley, sorry but that made I larf.

A rare opportunity taken and a commendable result :Hat:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:56 am
Catfish.017 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:43 am That's a very world weary looking Chub Moley, are you sure you didn't' find it floating in a backwater? :Scared: :Scared: well done for getting out though (and catching :Hat:
:Hahaha:

Moley, sorry but that made I larf.

A rare opportunity taken and a commendable result :Hat:
It's probably quite old as the bigger chub lurk near the actual village of Wallington lurking under an impenetrable section of overhanging trees and bushes. They seldom need to emerge from this sanctuary except in floods where the increased flow forces them out. The missing scales are probably a result of banging against the branches in the turbulent conditions. Fatty only knew the chub were there because floating crust run down the swim in the summer, under the branches, getting held up etc resulted in several diners slurping the tempting morsels into their big gobs, gave the game away.

Impossible to catch and bank in the summer but possible perhaps in the Winter floods....and so it proved.

So naughty Catfish in answer to your scurrilous remarks, the chub was very much alive and kicking when captured, giving a good account in the increased river flow. :club:

Glad to hear my capture of such a fine specimen, inducing inflammatory remarks make you laugh Dave. Anything to cheer you up after the disasters befallen upon your good self. As they say ' laughter is the best medicine '
Mr B wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:54 am Well done Moley,
Cracking Chub, well worth the effort and a good dousing!
Keep up the good work, good angling and the bad singing!

Mr B
Ps once the can of spam is opened, its a crime for any Castronaught worth his salts to save it.
As you say an open tin of Luncheon Meat is fair game to a hungry Fatbloke. Fortunately the chub was caught prior to the scoffing as very little was leftover. Still the pub was open so all well and good.
Aitch wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:48 am Well done Moley... thats a lump from the Wally,... :Hat: :Thumb:
It was Aitch, as most caught upstream seem to only be about a pound at best. Even the dace are bigger :Wink:

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post, much appreciated.

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Well done Moley. Hope there are many more banked by you.
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Well done my pie ( and luncheon meat) chomping chum, yes one of the better chevins in the Wally. I'm guessing it was from Southwick pool as it was the only swim available on Saturday and your usual Boarhunt haunt was probably still underwater yesterday,

Either side of Boarhunt bridge

Either side of Cheesemans bridge

Rod Storey and I have both had Chub weighed at 3:13 from the pool and I have had 2 easily over 4 but not weighed at Whitedell
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

A small river chub of any size is a good fish, but a four pounder is lovely one! Well done Moley! :Thumb:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Well done Moley, I don't know the river, but a 4lb'er from a small stream is good in anybody's book 👍

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”