Paint or NEVER!

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Wakou
Rudd

Paint or NEVER!

Post by Wakou »

Since joining this fraternity, I have acquired a number of reels. For example Speedias. They are all perfectly usable, but are all "scruffy" They are not rare or precious, are they? Do you strip and paint them, or is that frowned upon? I have seen another's description of "restoring" a Mitchell, with a lot of careful and technical expertise and work. I have a "user", also scruffy, but I am not bothered about how it looks.. (It is a "Sasquatch" with the big-foot, and has to be forced in to ie, my "Dr Redfin" (Mark Everard) Roach-rod and my little quiver rod, but whatevs...)

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Paint or NEVER!

Post by Paul F »

Why waste money on reels that need re-painting, when there are plenty of lovely great conditioned reels available at good prices, ready to fish.

Post a wanted message on here, and I am sure you will get some great offers.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Exellent advice, Paul, but I was new to this "hobby" (obsession) And bought some scruffy reels!

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

I see no harm in sprucing up an old reel that is neither rare nor valuable, if that pleases you.

Neither is there anything at all wrong in using functional gear that wears its scruffiness from past good use with pride.

One thing is certain though. The fish won't know or care either way! :Wink:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

It’s a very personal thing but, whilst I have a few quite old ‘pins and fixed spools in near perfect condition, I like the battle scars on my painted reels with scrapes and wear. With wooden reels, embrace the imperfection!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Notwithstanding the above, they're your reels, do exactly as you please :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Duckett wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:18 am It’s a very personal thing but, whilst I have a few quite old ‘pins and fixed spools in near perfect condition, I like the battle scars on my painted reels with scrapes and wear. With wooden reels, embrace the imperfection!

Phil
The Japanese, those masters of aesthetics, have a term Wabi-sabi, which is the reverence and appreciation of exactly what you describe Phil. :Hat:
Last edited by John Milford on Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I feel it should really be up to the custodian of the tackle . However I would raise an eyebrow if someone stripped a very rare early Mitchell rell and painted it red , white and blue .

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Painting a reel can be a good way to get yourself a nice looking reel for little outlay.
Speedias are notorious for losing their original finish and can be made to look better than new with a little effort.
Mitchells are a different ball game, the original finish is difficult to achieve but I have seen some great jobs done, in other colours too.

There is an old saying in the antique trade about restorations. Never do anything that can't be undone.
Better to leave antique or very rare reels to the collectors of such things.
For reels that are going to be used, I think they should look nice and work as well as the day they were made.

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

John Milford wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:50 am
Duckett wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:18 am It’s a very personal thing but, whilst I have a few quite old ‘pins and fixed spools in near perfect condition, I like the battle scars on my painted reels with scrapes and wear. With wooden reels, embrace the imperfection!

Phil
The Japanese, those masters of aesthetics, have a term Wabi-sabi, which is the reverence and appreciation of exactly what you describe Phil. :Hat:
It’s a fair cop …… I’m a huge fan of wabi-sabi but felt I’ve mentioned it a bit too regularly on TFF! :Chuckle:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”