Test back stream

This forum is for discussing roach.
Moley
Brown Trout

Test back stream

Post by Moley »

Yesterday Fat Bloke was given permission to fish.....so he did!

The Test was the destination......took ages to get there as the traffic was heavy. Oh well it's getting near to Christmas, with all the madness therein. Everyone was on the move.

Despite the vehicular lunacy got to the fishery in mostly good order.

Rod of choice was a Hardy Fred J Taylor Trotter with a Bewick loaded with 3lb Maxima. Float of choice was heavy wire stick.

Just as well as the main river was stonking through at a great rate of knots. A few run throughs proved the main river was more or less off limits, although a very large brown trout wanted a go. Estimated at about 6lb or so it went back okay because time on the bank was zero because the behemoth was unhooked in the net, without much fuss.

A small grayling followed....again not taken from the water but unhooked in the net. It swam away immediately. The high colour and pace meant few chub would be lurking today so a trip.to the back water was decided upon. No hardship as the roach in here can be good if you can get through the minnow hoardes.

Pies were scoffed and tea slurped whilst watching the water tanking through.

Back to it. Minnows were the only distraction; in every swim tried. No other fish was evident.

However, as the light started to fade......

Not a monster but a good omen perhaps.

Darkness set in quick, the float barely visible. Was that a bite hard to tell, a hopeful strike, the rod throbbed with life on the other end, easy now as this could be.......

Under match light the weighing indicated that this was the target achieved. A swift portrait and away.

It was only when looking at the image, or lack thereof on the phone, after the fish had been put back that Fatty realised he had made am error. The flash had ceased to function, probably through dampness,the only image being complete darkness. :Confused:

The walk back to the car was long and tedious, with many a trip and stumble, followed by a variety of curses. But this inconvenience was worth it because it is not every day a roach over two pound decides to visit despite the let down by modern technology in the hands of a troglodyte.

The return journey was less fraught and passed quickly.

Matron :Scared: unimpressed with the excited chat of her spouse, just carried on with tea.

Oh well that's 🎣

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Test back stream

Post by Moley »

Got the youngest to have a look at the recalcitrant picture..

Using skills that are way beyond the remit of Fat Bloke an image was retrieved:

Not bad considering and at least shows what a lump it was.

It's good having a person in the house who knows what they are doing with all this clever stuff. Fat Bloke knows about pies, tea and a bit about fishing (not much mind); very little else though!

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Great reading about your adventure. A good fish too. :Hat:

:fishing1:
:fish:
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Wives have a remarkable knack of pouring cold water on their excited husband’s fishing exploits with a simple “ that’s nice dear” in a special tone of voice.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Another fine read my pie chomping chum, the Test and tribs are on my to do list
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done Moley! A 2 pounder from a backwater is a wonderful acheivment! Such a shame you don't have a picture, but what did it weigh?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Great catch Moley.That little carrier is full of promise.

Solithar
Roach

Post by Solithar »

Having never caught such a beauty, all congratulations to the angler (and the tech whiz who salvaged the picture)!

:Hat:
Lucian,
A beginner angler thankful for the endless and blessed joy of angling.

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Sorry Moley, I missed the 'recovered picture of your roach, that does look a lump! :Thumb: What did it weigh? :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Lea Dweller wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:38 am Sorry Moley, I missed the 'recovered picture of your roach, that does look a lump! :Thumb: What did it weigh? :Hat:
It measured nearly 15 inches, nose to fork, weighing just over the two standard. In fact it weighed 2lb 1oz could have been slightly more as the scales kept moving between 1oz and 2oz over the 2lb, so took the lower weight as usual. Probably due to my shaking hands.

Only big roach give me the extra shakes nowadays. I think that makes 91 roach over 2lb taken from seven different fisheries and rivers now. Very nearly respectable for a confirmed roach lover......almost. Ambition drives Fatty to build the number to 100.... don't know why but seems a nice round number.
Solithar wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:26 am Having never caught such a beauty, all congratulations to the angler (and the tech whiz who salvaged the picture)!

:Hat:
Kind words and yes anything to do with mobile phones and our kid is better than most. Even Fat Bloke was impressed how she coaxed an image from blackness.....clever stuff.
Grumpy wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:23 pm Great catch Moley.That little carrier is full of promise.
Thanks Grumpy but in truth the carrier is quite large and does tend to hold the bigger roach who can't contend with the flow of the main river Test.....especially after nearly a month of rain. Good to see such flows to clean the river of silt etc. The main river is good for big trout, salmon, sea trout, grayling and chub.
Wallyboy Rob wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:58 pm Another fine read my pie chomping chum, the Test and tribs are on my to do list
Play your cards right and you might get an invite to fish these syndicate water. Need to square it with Tim the land owner.
Homer Simpson wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:34 am Wives have a remarkable knack of pouring cold water on their excited husband’s fishing exploits with a simple “ that’s nice dear” in a special tone of voice.
It would seem to be the case H S.....in my circumstances very cold water. Any achievements.are meaningless to her unless it was match winnings that could pay for a weekly shop..
Dave F wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:15 am Great reading about your adventure. A good fish too. :Hat:

:fishing1:
:fish:
Glad you enjoy the written drivel Dave. Sometimes a decent fish or two show up as well.

Rarely but they do come to the bank to see who is singing so badly..

The cause of much singing, a few years back now, and very nearly in tune.

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”