Rod ID help needed please

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Rod ID help needed please

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

A chum of mine has been given an Allcocks rod which appears to be greenheart and measures 79" in length and has a 16" handle unfortunately the decal is worn but the model is named 'The' something and has been refurbished sometime with Fuji rings

Could any of the learned gentleman of this parish help identify it please

ImageImage
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Rod ID help needed please

Post by Harry H »

Looking through the Allcocks rod list at that length it looks like The Ambassador?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallyboy Rob
Chub

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Thanks Harry, I did consider that but the ambassador is built cane, my pals rod looks to be Greenheart, the other rod that has a a similar spec is The Taw but the remnants of the decal suggest a longer name

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Are both sections the same length? Can we get an image of the handle please? What about the rod suggests greenheart? It appears cane coloured. Is it round in profile or hexagonal? It's unclear from the photos.
Whatever it is, it's post war, c.1950-63. The bits of the decal that are visible suggest a "...CK..." or "...GH..." to me.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Wallyboy Rob
Chub

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Just posted the images I was given RF, I thought greenheart as it is round and not whole cane

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Wallyboy this rod looks to me as though it has had the handle rebuilt/replaced and could be a light sea rod called the Solent.

It is described as a two joint, lancewood top, porcelain end ring and
a wood button. Costing the princely sum of 45 /-

As ever,......

Moley

ImageImage
Say aye tae'a pie!

Wallyboy Rob
Chub

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Thanks Moley, that would explain a lot, the handle did look a bit rough for an Allcocks

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Wallyboy Rob wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:15 pm Thanks Moley, that would explain a lot, the handle did look a bit rough for an Allcocks
The handle termination actually looks quite like that of the "K.B.X. Kastlite", a 7ft. hollow glass spinning rod.

"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Wallyboy Rob
Chub

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

I'm pretty sure it's not glass RF, the owner thought it might have been sanded round, it's definitely been mucked about with so nay have had a handle replaced

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Wallyboy Rob wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:01 pm I'm pretty sure it's not glass RF, the owner thought it might have been sanded round, it's definitely been mucked about with so nay have had a handle replaced
That was my other thought. It should be easy enough to tell at the Allcocks transfer which would have had vertical strips removed, as it covers several faces (which it doesn't appear to have), or would retain the hexagonal shape if that part hadn't been rounded.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”