Bait Addatives? Yea or Nay?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Fredline
Tench

Bait Addatives? Yea or Nay?

Post by Fredline »

I have just read an article about a Barbel weighing over 15lbs caught on Spam from the Great Ouse. An impressive fish indeed. Now I have a problem, "I marinated the hookbait in crushed garlic, paprika and oyster sauce". Surely this is one of Michel Rouxs' side dishes. The question now is "Are addatives effective or just a load of old £o!!o(#'s?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Re: Bait Addatives? Yea or Nay?

Post by Homer Simpson »

Generally, I think it’s the angler’s confidence.
I do use a garlic sausage from Lidl , but I wonder if my reasons are it’s cheap and easy to hook. And stores in the fridge well.
Definitely a nay for these expensive bottles of glug, l think they are called.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I believe that flavouring, colouring, and even changing the size or shape of a bait can all give you an edge over the sheep. The majority of fishermen just follow the trend and the fish soon get to recognise their bait. When everybody used meat the 1" cube eventually caused barbel to avoid it and the area it was in. Change the shape, colour or flavour (I went the whole hog and did all three), and the bait had a new life.

Nowadays, meat sits alongside pellets and boilies, which means that the fish may be less likely to spook from an 'old' bait, but giving it a new signature will outfox wary fish.

Flavouring doesn't mean spending a fortune from the carp shelf of your tackle shop. Marmite (Blurgh!), Bovril, garlic, chilli, honey, paprika, fish paste.... the list is endless and all have their day. Curry powder on your maggots or bread is great for switching the roach on :Wink:

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Bait additive hocus pocus is as old as angling - and not entirely without merit in my experience.

Corn steep liquor and scopex are two of my favourites.

Old angling books often mention great care being taken in the preparation of breadpase. Any hint of nicotine on the fingers being the 'kiss of death' and, conversely, the bait's effectiveness being elevated to mystical levels by the use of dill water, aniseed, or colouring with custard powder.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I use a few... scopex being one, and some of the Nut flavoured oils for pellets... they seem to get the fish's heads down... especially the almond ones
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Listening to John Baker’s podcasts are a bit of an ear opener. I am happy to accept that flavouring baits is a centuries old tradition and will do so occasionally.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

I use fenugreek in or on all my baits from the humble maggot to the most complex boiled bait or paste :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

intrigued by Northern Nomads, 'Fenugreek' what is it?luncheon meat flavoured and quickly fried in a mix of oxo cube and curry powder is reasonably cheap and easy to do.Fish really take to it in winter months particularlly and it's not bad to eat either!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Aitch wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:56 am I use a few... scopex being one, and some of the Nut flavoured oils for pellets... they seem to get the fish's heads down... especially the almond ones

My choice of Scopex was Rods - with so many supplying a version of the Hutchinson original I will change when the last dregs of my genuine bottle are gone

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Mostly no… occasionally I do for luncheon meat…..
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”