It's been a while

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

It's been a while

Post by Iasgair »

It's been a hard year of fishing with the run off lasting longer than what we are used to. Early Spring fishing was tough because it seemed like the fish wanted nothing to do with being caught, and not just by me, but by many others who were trailing the trout.

As Summer came and went along, things improved. I spent most of my time on the South Saint Vrain chasing browns and honing in on my skills. I stayed mostly on the Vrain because the Poudre River has been hit so hard with natural devastation these last two years that it's not worth the drive to fish for nothing, unless you go above where the mudslide happened, which is a two hour drive. Though I will say this, the Wild Basin has opened up to visitors without a reservation, so I got to fish in there one time this year searching for cutthroat trout. I fished higher than I normally do hoping to bypass the brookies, but I couldn't find a cutthroat to save my life, just a bunch of brookies. A fish is a fish, so I wasn't too upset. But I realized I wasn't as young as I used to be and at one point I stood on a flat rock and my feet went out from underneath me and I landed flat on my back. I layed there for a minute trying to figure out if I was seriously hurt or not, and I wasn't hurt too bad, so I kept on going.

As the weeks went on I had to see what the Poudre was doing, so I found a place where the river splits in two. The fishing wasn't the greatest, but it was fun. I did happen to run into two moose. The other moose is behind the dead thicket, you can barely make it out.

As time went by I went back to the Poudre late Sept. This day proved to be the day of redemption. The fish were thick and the males were getting aggressive. I tried nymphs at first but nothing was taking, so I tied on two wet flies, both red and black colored. The best fly was just a black soft hackled fly with a red bead head. All the fish averaged over fifteen inches, and the fights they gave were wonderful.

One fish I caught was a surprise. It was a cutthroat of good quality.

As the day went on the fishing was spectacular. It was a search mission, because I had to work for them, but each and every trout I caught and lost was special. I won't even tell you about the one that took my entire leader set up. I knew I should have retied it.

But it was a day of redemption from the previous days on the water. Fall was in the air and the air was cool though the sun was warm. You couldn't ask for a nicer day.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Dave F
Grayling

Re: It's been a while

Post by Dave F »

Sounds like a lot of fun. The trout look really fit - good enough to eat?

What is a “cut throat” ?

:fishing1:
:fish:
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great write up and inspiring to keep trying. Enjoyed reading your account !
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Inspiring reading, a lonely area shared with moose and spectacular trout. Be careful on those rocks.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Dave F wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:14 am Sounds like a lot of fun. The trout look really fit - good enough to eat?

What is a “cut throat” ?

:fishing1:
:fish:
A Cut Throat is a trout subspecies that has a "slash" of red colour by the gills.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

I’ve just seen this post and what a good days fishing. Glad you didn’t injure yourself with the fall you took. Cut throats look really colourful fish, why we don’t have them here I just don’t know,but I wish we did.

Ian
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Ian wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:26 pm I’ve just seen this post and what a good days fishing. Glad you didn’t injure yourself with the fall you took. Cut throats look really colourful fish, why we don’t have them here I just don’t know,but I wish we did.

Ian
They can be very colorful during their spawn, especially the Greenback. Most people say they are daft and easy to take, but it's probably due to the competition they get from brook trout. If you find a river system or lake that has no brook trout, the cutthroat are a little hard to catch.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Return to “General Fly Chat”