Centaure Line Roller

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Centaure Line Roller

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

ImageImageImage
I've had a particular interest in Centaure reels for quite a while and now have a good few.On a couple of occasions when giving a latest acquisition the 'once over' the bale arm line roller has crumbled into pieces and couldn't understand why.I noticed that on my latest Centaure reel the roller appears to be made of nylon.I'm guessing the other rollers that disintegrated were also nylon and didn't realize.Why,when their reels were built so well,did they sometimes use a nylon roller ??? Very odd.

Cat
Chub

Re: Centaure Line Roller

Post by Cat »

Deliberately done so people like ourselves, some 70 years later, may ask the question!

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Cat wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:50 pm Deliberately done so people like ourselves, some 70 years later, may ask the question!
Dear Cat,Your logic is unsurpassed and incredibly unhelpful all at the same time.MAGNIFICENT 😎👍

Vanderschoor
Stickleback

Post by Vanderschoor »

If I may take a stab at it: perhaps because a nylon roller does not damage the line (as long as it rolls properly). Apparently aging (70 years ago!) was not taken into account...

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Vanderschoor wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:20 pm If I may take a stab at it: perhaps because a nylon roller does not damage the line (as long as it rolls properly). Apparently aging (70 years ago!) was not taken into account...
Thanks for your thoughts.I think the detrimental effects of UV light on a nylon roller could be a cause but yes,if the nylon roller wasn't free spinning,a nylon line could certainly cause some damage to the roller.TTFN

Return to “Other Reels”