How We Fish

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: How We Fish

Post by Dave Burr »

I like books written with passion and not just to cash in on a TV program. I'll pass on this one.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

What about this one Dave?…this was a TV series :tea:

" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

That was from a time when such programs were like rocking horse poo and it was interesting to see behind the scenes. But I only read it once.

Nowadays, the minute something grabs it's five minutes of fame a book appears, followed by biographies and more. If that's your thing then go with it but there can be little left to, report on these people and do they need the extra cash?

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Surely we should embrace anything on TV or indeed book wise which brings our wonderful sport to a wider audience and sets the tone which shows that friendship and spending time in the countryside is a hell of a lot more important than actually catching fish…?
A far as I know both Paul and Bob are both wealthy men, they’ve worked hard for it over the years making us laugh and I for one don’t begrudge them a penny… :read:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:26 pm Surely we should embrace anything on TV or indeed book wise which brings our wonderful sport to a wider audience and sets the tone which shows that friendship and spending time in the countryside is a hell of a lot more important than actually catching fish…?
A far as I know both Paul and Bob are both wealthy men, they’ve worked hard for it over the years making us laugh and I for one don’t begrudge them a penny… :read:
Does that include programmes with Ali Hamidi in? :whistle:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I can't watch Mr Hamidi... too manic for my tastes
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:27 pm
RBTraditional wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:26 pm Surely we should embrace anything on TV or indeed book wise which brings our wonderful sport to a wider audience and sets the tone which shows that friendship and spending time in the countryside is a hell of a lot more important than actually catching fish…?
Dave I didn’t know who Mr Hamidi was, I had to look him up on google….he was “fishing” (I use the term loosely) with well known former West Ham legend Bobby Zamora…⚒️⚒️⚒️

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:28 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:27 pm
Dave I didn’t know who Mr Hamidi was, I had to look him up on google….he was “fishing” (I use the term loosely) with well known former West Ham legend Bobby Zamora…⚒️⚒️⚒️
Do try to catch their program Rob, I think you'll like him, he's so personable and understated.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

John Bailey has written or co-written over 60 books on fishing…

Top marks for staying power
The Watcher by the Bridge

Carl Hier
Roach

Post by Carl Hier »

In my younger years, I read many great books by John Bailey which enhanced my love of all things fishing. I also struggle with Mr. Hamidi but quite enjoy the Mortimer & Whitehouse programmes. I just see it as two blokes talking about ‘life’ with a sprinkling of fishing in the background. Consequently I’ve never really scrutinised it’s content or marked it out of ten. It’s just been 30 minutes of enjoyable telly every now and then 👍.
It's not just about the fish, if waters are calm or rough, even if the net stays dry, just being there's enough.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”