Milwards Swimlite

The Milwards Rods forum.
Lucky Strike
Perch

Milwards Swimlite

Post by Lucky Strike »

I picked one of these up recently on ebay in very good condition apart from
a nasty set to the tip. A nice rod, a bit on the heavy side but that was to be expected.
A good allround tippy float/match rod but with a through action so I reckon it would be
a good perch/chub/tench rod.

Apologies if this has been mentioned in earlier posts but can someone advise me on how to
remove the set from the tip? All the whippings and rings are in excellent original condition and
it would be a shame to strip it and re-whip it if the set can be cured by heat.

Many thanks

MGs
Pike

Re: Milwards Swimlite

Post by MGs »

A gentle application of heat should do the trick. Most on here have their own method. Those put forward earlier include, hair dryers, DIY heat guns and resting on a flat radiator top. The secret is "gentle". You need to soften the glue to allow for movement, without damaging the cane
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

I see. How did you remove the varnish - scraping or with paint stripper/?
I used nitromors today to strip a cane rod, it did a brilliant job but seemed to
cause delamination so I'm now messing around with cascamite! This site has been
really helpful along the way I must add, I'm learning more and more each day about restoring
rods.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I have used most of a 500ml can of Homecare Paint Stripper I had in my garage to do the 4 rods I have stripped so far ... and used the BACK of an old pen knife blade to gently scrape away the varnish. This is because I have found that using this old knife I find the blade begins top fold against it's spring if I start to press to hard. Elf and Safety means I have to say I DO NOT recommend others to do this ... I simply say it's what I do. I stress I'm a novice at this ... but the combination works for me.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

Cheers for that. Do you leave the stripper on for a while before you scrape it off?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It can be just a few minutes ... I have found it can take anything from 2 minutes to 5 minutes de[pending on the rod ... but I stress ... I have only stripped 4 rods.

My two completed rods are here :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... =38&t=2518

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 223&t=3144
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”