Sea Streak Subtleties

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Rockape
Roach

Re: Sea Streak Subtleties

Post by Rockape »

No worries Stingray, thanks for answering my question.
Pleased to be able to remove it all now..lol!

Thanks again.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Stingray wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:33 pm Hi, Rockape. Sorry for the delay. I don't think the manufacturer ever supplied them pre-filled with line. I suppose it is possible that some enterprising retailer did it but most likely is the owner thought it was a good idea and went for the reddest tackle on the beach award. Makes old streaky a bit too red for me I must say :Angry: but the fish won't mind.
Hi Stingray, and all.

I should have quoted you in on my previous post, so you would have got an alert to it, my apologies.

Anyway, it was with glee that I removed the red line, which I wound directly onto my user Ses Streak, and what do ya know, there was a hefty amount of what looks to me to be 15lb yellow Daiwa tournament line underneath (that's going onto my ABU 6500). Happy days.

Paul

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Rockape wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:19 am
Stingray wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:33 pm Hi, Rockape. Sorry for the delay. I don't think the manufacturer ever supplied them pre-filled with line. I suppose it is possible that some enterprising retailer did it but most likely is the owner thought it was a good idea and went for the reddest tackle on the beach award. Makes old streaky a bit too red for me I must say :Angry: but the fish won't mind.
Hi Stingray, and all.

I should have quoted you in on my previous post, so you would have got an alert to it, my apologies.

Anyway, it was with glee that I removed the red line, which I wound directly onto my user Sea Streak, and what do ya know, there was a hefty amount of what looks to me to be 15lb yellow Daiwa tournament line underneath (that's going onto my ABU 6500). Happy days.

Paul

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Just picked this up; as new, very pleased (£51).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Rockape wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:51 pm Just picked this up; as new, very pleased (£51).
Very nice.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Stingray wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:17 am
Rockape wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:51 pm Just picked this up; as new, very pleased (£51).
Very nice.
Thanks Stingray.

This one (which I first discovered from the video you posted on YT) has eluded me for some time, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it up for auction, and that the bidding didn't climb a lot higher than it did, in fact I was sure it would hit a £100 plus.

Everything was a bit tight on the reel; the spool took some easing off the drive side of the reel (gears were bone dry), and the free spool lever was hard to shift, but a tiny application of grease and oil here and there, has freed it up a bit.

I did also leave a comment on your Carbon Sea Streak Video.

I may have said this before, so forgive me, but most of what I have learned (outside of my actual experience back in the 70's) about Intrepid reels has come from your videos, so thank you for posting them.

Still looking for that mint boxed first Seastreak version with the flat ratchet lever as shown in the art work (learned that from you too...probably back in this very thread).

Cheers

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Well, I finally found a very early version with the flat ratchet selector, and interestingly, it came in a different box to any I have seen before. The box style is familiar to me though (1966 ..ish I think?).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Rockape wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:44 am Well, I finally found a very early version with the flat ratchet selector, and interestingly, it came in a different box to any I have seen before. The box style is familiar to me though (1966 ..ish I think?).
:huray: Well done getting that version of the reel for your collection, it looks brilliant condition. Looks to be the excellent satin chrome finish. Yes, the reel will be circa 1966 being a very early version but the box is later appearing after the display type box. It is also a "Gladding" box so younger than the reel.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Stingray wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:33 am
Rockape wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:44 am Well, I finally found a very early version with the flat ratchet selector, and interestingly, it came in a different box to any I have seen before. The box style is familiar to me though (1966 ..ish I think?).
:huray: Well done getting that version of the reel for your collection, it looks brilliant condition. Looks to be the excellent satin chrome finish. Yes, the reel will be circa 1966 being a very early version but the box is later appearing after the display type box. It is also a "Gladding" box so younger than the reel.
Thanks for your reply Stingray,

I can't believe I didn't clock the Gladding name on the box...Doh!!!!?
Thank you for pointing that out.

The guy I bought it from said there were originally two in the family, and from the way he was talking, it seemed they were bought a few years apart, so the box may have been original to the other one?
But yes, I can't believe the great condition it's in, I was very lucky to spot it.
I have another really spotless one in an equally new looking early display box, but it has the later ratchet lever, so I may swap them over to keep things true to era..?
It came with the later handbook too, so I will keep my eyes peeled for the correct one (so many loose ends, but fun to fix).

All the best,

Paul

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

I just did a box swap with the older reel, and it's looking good :Thumb:

I took a few photos of the family (Carbon version excluded for not being 'red enough'..lol! I love that reel though).

The two plastic oil port reels have identical white Gladding boxes...as you would expect (uninspiring and lacklustre product promotion from Gladding once they got full control).

I noticed something odd while I had these reels together.
The screw that holds down the crank nut keeper plate (my own description, sorry), is not consistently drilled in the same place; some are on the grip side and some on the counter weight side....???

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”