Arnold Kingpin colour finish question

The Other Reels forum.
MrCrabtree
Rudd

Arnold Kingpin colour finish question

Post by MrCrabtree »

I have had several Arnold Kingpin Reels over the years and still have a blue version carrying the name of Bob James.
However I have just acquired a series 2 (large round holes, series 1 had triangular large holes) which has a finish in several different colour shades
It seems to be a mixture of green only on the foot stem, grey, grey/green and a sort of pinky/lilac which thinly covers over some of the other shades.
I have never seen this before and wondered if it was supplied as a standard colour or a one off custom finish.
I did try and take a few photos but it was difficult to distinguish the various shades as they are fairly subtle.
Any thoughts please?

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Arnold Kingpin colour finish question

Post by Olly »

I have a vivid blue Arnold Monarch.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Sounds like iffy anodising?

Here's a black and platinum 450 for comparison:

¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

If you have a "Bob James" Kingpin, you have quite a rare reel, only a few were made before there was an argument about how much BJ was going to get, so he pulled out and went to Relum, where they produced an almost exact copy. There are photo's in the "Reels data" thread, of the Kingpin one.
The history of this row he had, is on the site somewhere, I have just looked and all the pics have gone but this is the text.
"What follows, is some what confusing, if true:

“Hi me again
Just to say my Bob James Kingpin looks exactly the same as in the photos kindly provided by Paul Whiting except for certainly one maybe two differences.
Firstly my model looks to be much more bluish in colour rather than the silvery sheen model in the photos. Secondly in the photos under the Bob James name and logo it states "Kingfisher" whereas my states "Kingpin".
Mine also has exactly the same manufacturers details at the bottom of the back plate as shown in the photos. What I am interested in finding out is why I read on "Fishing Magic Forums" one contributor states that the owner of Arnold Kingpin Company told him they never commercially sold reels with the Bob James name on them.
If anybody else has further info I would be interested to hear from them.”[/b][/b]

Then there is this:-

“I have a Bob James Arnold Kingpin reel which I purchased from Ringwood Tackle many years ago. Doing some research into the reel I found on another web site, (fishing magic 2010). A forum where a guy stated that only 3 reels were ever made, by Arnold Kingpin with the Bob James name and rod / kingfisher logo as there was a dispute with Bob concerning his share of the proceeds.
He then states that Relum then produced similar reels with the Bob James logo.
On a discontinued BFW page there is a photo of a BJ Arnold Kingpin (mine seems bluer in colour but that may just be the photo).
Does anyone know what the truth is as I am sure I have seen other Arnold Kingpins with the BJ name on them”

And this makes it more confusing:-

The Arnold Kingpin was never endorsed by Bob James, he had his name etched (with a Kingfisher) on the back of the very similar looking reels made by Relum.
The reel that you see Bob using in "Passion For Angling" is in fact a Swallow Centre pin

Arnold Kingpin reels, were originally made by R.Arnold Engineers who are no longer trading, they are now being manufactured to an even higher specification by K W Engineering of Poole, Dorset."
Hope this helps.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Thanks Rod
I believe a couple of those comments you quoted may have been from me some time back and I am still no wiser why some had Kingfisher and others had Kingpin.
Anyway here are some photos of the reel I first mentioned and the strange paintwork. Hopefully you can discern the different shades.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I too think this is an anodising issue. It's almost as though something has been wiped over the reel with a rag and it has tainted the finish, in places it has not got to the finish just as a rag wouldn't.

At least it's unique!

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Mr. Ward snr did tell me green was the worst colour for anodising.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Hi, the "Kingpin" was made by Arnold, and the "Kingfisher by Relum, does that make sense.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Was it a Kingfisher that Bob James put his name to?

See the Relum thread of today.

Return to “Other Reels”