Scottish Bait!

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Wakou
Rudd

Scottish Bait!

Post by Wakou »

I recently bought some cheap "square sausage" ("Lorne") from Farm Foods (!.. Not my usual Fortnum and Mason's weekly food-shop!). I can't pretend I enjoyed it hugely, but it did make me think that a chub or tench or bream etc might.. When fried it became quite tough and chewy, and I imagine it would stay nicely on the hook or hair. Has anyone here used it?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Scottish Bait!

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Makes a lovely sarnie. With brown sauce of course.

Wal.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Most meaty products work,give 'em a go,nothing ventured nothing gained.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Sadly, the cheap Lorne sausage available south of the border isn’t a patch on those I’ve tasted in Scotland. However, with no casing to hold it together it’s a little coarser and seems to have more rusk than would go into other sausages, which might explain the chewyness. I’m with Wal on it making good sausage sandwich though.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I found some in a local butchers which is strange being so far South!

My wife and I tried it - she, from near the Borders, said it tasted nothing like the sausage in the Northern Northumberland area!

So good for fish - - ??

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Scottish bait? Shouldn't it be deep fried?

But of course it will catch, a mixture of meat/offal and bran is a very traditional choice and most of our coarse species will eat it.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

The Scottish 'Square sausage' I once tried was very noticeably spiced. That flavouring might add extra appeal as bait, but not for breakfast - at least not to my taste.

However, I have also seen 'Sausage squares' - which are something different. They made excellent sarnies, especially the Cumberland ones. :Thumb:

(As an aside, I once opened a tin of Luncheon meat, intending to use it as bait - but upon noticing it's unusually delicious aroma, I saw that it was the black peppered variety. That got promoted very swiftly to breakfast and a tin of the plain old stuff got opened as bait!).
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Deep fried battered lorne sausage, now there's a idea, but why waste it on the fish. I do miss my bi weekly trips to Scotland delivering our product, a lorne sausage bun was always the first thing on my mind. There was a small services just off the M74 that had a mobile catering van on the car park on the way up, I think it may have been near castle Douglas, but I can't exactly remember, and their lorne sausage was excellent.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Can’t beat square sausage on a Morton’s roll. None of these horrible doughy rolls. Morton’s rolls are almost hollow so a tattie scone can be added ha!
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Yes - have used it for barbel and caught. I placed the whole slice into a hot pan for about 20 sec, flipping once. When cold I cut it up into cubes. I felt that doing it that way always left a soft (Unsealed) 4 sides to leak flavour

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”