What is in your opinion THE BB book to read ?

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: What is in your opinion THE BB book to read ?

Post by Pallenpool »

SussexMan wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:37 pm One of the reasons BB's writing has an impact is its authenticity; he had a vast wealth of experience, often handed on to him by rural acquaintances. Very few modern countryside writers (John Lewis-Stempel comes close...) have BB's depth, but their dilemma is that large tracts of the British countryside are being filleted of their wildlife by increased footfall. This comes in many forms, including those who regard the countryside as merely an as yet 'unrealised marketing asset', ripe for corporate (eg Center Parcs) 'development' (another oxymoron, with the emphasis on the last 5 letters...).
Sadly so true.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Yes Manka the Sky Gypsy is a great favourite, even more as I was an avid wildfowler like BB, I visited many of the places that BB to especially Scotland The fens and the Wash, even in the worst weather I would be out on the marsh, often getting a ducking, more than once I have had to swim a creek, it’s a sport that really grips one. Tides Ending and Dark Estuary are two great book with some wonderful pictures that capture the scene perfectly, I can certainly recommend these two book, in fact I have never read a bad book by BB D J Watkins- Pitchford MBE, F.R.S.A., A.R.C.A, A onetime art teacher at Rugby College. Its been a privileged that in my lifetime I have spent lots of special time with BB and his daughter Angela. You can often find a good selection of BB’s in your Public library.

Polecat
Gudgeon

Post by Polecat »

Martin James wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:55 am Yes Manka the Sky Gypsy is a great favourite, even more as I was an avid wildfowler like BB, I visited many of the places that BB to especially Scotland The fens and the Wash, even in the worst weather I would be out on the marsh, often getting a ducking, more than once I have had to swim a creek, it’s a sport that really grips one. Tides Ending and Dark Estuary are two great book with some wonderful pictures that capture the scene perfectly, I can certainly recommend these two book, in fact I have never read a bad book by BB D J Watkins- Pitchford MBE, F.R.S.A., A.R.C.A, A onetime art teacher at Rugby College. Its been a privileged that in my lifetime I have spent lots of special time with BB and his daughter Angela. You can often find a good selection of BB’s in your Public library.

Tides Ending and Dark Estuary are two of my all time favourite books, even inspiring me to have a few (spectacularly unsuccessful) attempts at wildfowling on the North Kent coast.

The books were bought for me by my parents for Christmas and I have read them time and time again ever since. It really makes you appreciate how tough they were in that era and the discomfort they endured in the name of pursuing their sport.

Fowlers Moon by Nigel Thorneycroft is equally enjoyable and apparently was originally written on scraps of paper whilst he was a prisoner of war.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Having read this thread, I realised that Be Quiet and Go A-Angling was absent from my shelves - a terrible mistake on my part. So, I soon purchased a copy and was enjoying it so much I took my time reading it. I was on the last few pages and saving them for a special time and now - I cannot find my copy anywhere. There are two possible scenarios, I have probably taken it on a hotel break and left it in the room :doh: or, my youngest grandbrat has hidden it somewhere. If he has I won't be asking him where it is as I don't want him to think he's got one over me but, if I do find it tucked into a little hidy hole, I'll :club:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

When I were but a lad, way back in the middle ages, 1954 precisely, I started at a Secondary Modern school aged 11. The form teacher was Mr Bill, who also had the job of teaching us English, with mixed success. One class every week he used to read from a book to the class in an attempt to encourage us to read ourselves. The first book he read from was Brendon Chase and I found it enthralling, to the extent that I read it all myself. 60 years later I could still remember extracts from it, not having seen a copy in the meantime. Thank you Mr Bill.

I came across a copy a few years ago and again I couldn't put it down. It was a true boys adventure book that to some degree mirrored my youth, fishing, bird nesting and about nature in general. I lent it to my grandson who was 12 at the time and said how good it was. I left it a month before I asked how he enjoyed it but he said it wasn't for him. He had hardly read any of it, I guess it was just appropriate to my era of kids. Such a shame.

As a postscript, Mr Bill was also a scout for Manchester United. I was in his class a few years later when the Munich air disaster occurred. That was the first time I had seen a man cry. Some teachers do leave an impression on you!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Polecat
Gudgeon

Post by Polecat »

Bob Brookes wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:32 pm When I were but a lad, way back in the middle ages, 1954 precisely, I started at a Secondary Modern school aged 11. The form teacher was Mr Bill, who also had the job of teaching us English, with mixed success. One class every week he used to read from a book to the class in an attempt to encourage us to read ourselves. The first book he read from was Brendon Chase and I found it enthralling, to the extent that I read it all myself. 60 years later I could still remember extracts from it, not having seen a copy in the meantime. Thank you Mr Bill.

I came across a copy a few years ago and again I couldn't put it down. It was a true boys adventure book that to some degree mirrored my youth, fishing, bird nesting and about nature in general. I lent it to my grandson who was 12 at the time and said how good it was. I left it a month before I asked how he enjoyed it but he said it wasn't for him. He had hardly read any of it, I guess it was just appropriate to my era of kids. Such a shame.

As a postscript, Mr Bill was also a scout for Manchester United. I was in his class a few years later when the Munich air disaster occurred. That was the first time I had seen a man cry. Some teachers do leave an impression on you!
That is so so true. I remember a teacher at primary school reading a Roald Dahl book to us. It was about a lad who lived with his father (he was a mechanic I think) and they went poaching pheasants and the like. I can't remember the title of the book but it made a lasting impression on me and no doubt influenced many aspects of the direction my life has taken. I too worry about the current generation - my nephew who is now 12 hardly ever plays outdoors.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Polecat wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:09 pm
Bob Brookes wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:32 pm When I were but a lad, way back in the middle ages, 1954 precisely, I started at a Secondary Modern school aged 11. The form teacher was Mr Bill, who also had the job of teaching us English, with mixed success. One class every week he used to read from a book to the class in an attempt to encourage us to read ourselves. The first book he read from was Brendon Chase and I found it enthralling, to the extent that I read it all myself. 60 years later I could still remember extracts from it, not having seen a copy in the meantime. Thank you Mr Bill.

That is so so true. I remember a teacher at primary school reading a Roald Dahl book to us. It was about a lad who lived with his father (he was a mechanic I think) and they went poaching pheasants and the like. I can't remember the title of the book but it made a lasting impression on me and no doubt influenced many aspects of the direction my life has taken. I too worry about the current generation - my nephew who is now 12 hardly ever plays outdoors.
Danny the champion of the world!

I also grew up having Roald Dahl books read to me wonderful memories :Hat:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

What’s the best BB book to read?….the one which is in your hands….. :read:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Polecat
Gudgeon

Post by Polecat »

Bobthefloat wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:18 pm
Polecat wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Danny the champion of the world!

I also grew up having Roald Dahl books read to me wonderful memories :Hat:
Thank you, I might have to track down a copy and have another read over the Christmas break!

Polecat
Gudgeon

Post by Polecat »

RBTraditional wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:44 pm What’s the best BB book to read?….the one which is in your hands….. :read:
Does that also apply to beer, fishing rods and women? :Chuckle:

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”