What is in your opinion THE BB book to read ?

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Catfish.017
Eel

Re: What is in your opinion THE BB book to read ?

Post by Catfish.017 »

Polecat wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:18 am
JAA wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:26 pm "Be Quiet and Go A-Angling" is the one I like best, possibly 'confessions' a close second. Both are good. I enjoy his general shooting and wildfowling works nearly as much, and am very fond of "The Idle Countryman".
A second vote for "Be Quiet and Go A-Angling". Probably my all time favourite book.
Not an easy book to find this one and wasn't it written under a different pseodonym? Michael Treharne? Again snippets of it can be found in another little BB book " Fishermans Folly"

Polecat
Gudgeon

Post by Polecat »

Yes, Michael Traherne. I thought that Fisherman's Folly was the same book but with a different title? I thought I read somewhere that BB had it re-published with a new title and under his own name when he became more widely known.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Polecat wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:18 am
JAA wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:26 pm "Be Quiet and Go A-Angling" is the one I like best, possibly 'confessions' a close second. Both are good. I enjoy his general shooting and wildfowling works nearly as much, and am very fond of "The Idle Countryman".
A second vote for "Be Quiet and Go A-Angling". Probably my all time favourite book.
Clearly, you're a gentleman and a scholar. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Another vote for Be Quiet And Go A Angling. Also one of the best fishing book I have ever read. Wood Pool comes a close second. Both published by The Medlar Press and both attributed to BB.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I’d go through them and make your own mind up. There is something in his writing that transforms the everyday into something rare and transformative.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

SussexMan
Bleak

Post by SussexMan »

The Idle Countryman (only by a nose) for me. The descriptions of wartime countryside are wonderful.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

SussexMan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:04 pm The Idle Countryman (only by a nose) for me. The descriptions of wartime countryside are wonderful.
Yes, that is a good one. Never knew moorhens were good eating!

Some of his best work don't have much fishing content, and the wildfowling books are a good read for anyone who likes the outdoors.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

ImageImageImage

If you can afford them buy the lot.

However if you just want to dabble these three are the best as they demonstrate the depth and variety of his work.

Anyways you can't go too wrong with any of his books.

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I thought BBs be quiet and fishermans folly were the same book, but there are some really good chapters in be quiet that are not in fishermans folly, the first editions of be quiet and go a angling are rare especially with dust jackets and in the early 2000s were fetching up to £400 nowadays they are around the £100 mark

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I like "The Fisherman's Bedside Book"
One of my favourites....
"A Midnight Battle With A Monster Barbel"

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”